Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Ammo cans.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Plastic Ammo cans.

MTM Ammo Can Plastic

Had a feeling these were coming. Would guess it will be the norm for the Military? Good price if they make them strong enough they could work?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

they could be good enough to hold a few rounds-- everything is 'el-cheapo" when it come to military needs --but the big "O" rides around on a fleet of AF1s going on %15 million dollar weekend vactions three or four times a week.

i do miss the old steel US made cans--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have a few of these MTM plastic ammo cans, they are crap, they are also not waterproof, regardless of price. I will stick with the real thing. these are good for sealed ammo battle packs. for the young and new to the hobby take your can plastic or steel can place it in a swimming pool or tub, it should float to the surface, dry the outside then open, there should be a rush of air and the interior completely dry if not, it aint waterproof and therefore usless for storing ammo over extended periods of time. if your metal surplus can leaks, they sell replacement rubber gaskets /seals. if you got these plastic ones, you could seal them with clear plastic tub sealer, but that defeats the purpose
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Interesting reviews thank you guys. Wonder if they made them of heavier gauge plastic and put a decent seal on them, if they would be any better?
    I use a metal ammo can in my fishing boat and I notice the bottom rusting out. But this is after years of sitting in a wet environment. Now not rusting through, just exterior rust.
    Plastic would not rust, what are any opinions on heavier plastics. Hell j4 loves plastic. Is the Military still using metal cans or have they gone plastic?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think most of the plastic ones I've seen are just poorly engineered and made with the goal of being less costly than a real military quality one. The right designer could make a very solid/beefy ammo can out of a good plastic/polymer....I'm looking at you Magpul. The right material though may be just as expensive as steel in the end since most are petro-chemical derived.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocster View Post
    I think most of the plastic ones I've seen are just poorly engineered and made with the goal of being less costly than a real military quality one. The right designer could make a very solid/beefy ammo can out of a good plastic/polymer....I'm looking at you Magpul. The right material though may be just as expensive as steel in the end since most are petro-chemical derived.
    Maybe true Rocster? My old girlfriends father had a plastic mold company. As he explained the most expensive cost on plastic items are the molds. Once the machinist make the molds it is a kind of simple process to make the products. This from him telling me?
    Hell heavy strong plastic material could? make for a good ammo can? Where are our machinists, they would have the answer? Hell I don't know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Smile

I used to sell to a plastics manufacturer.they would make what the customer required. Period. No more no less. If someone were to ask for spec product that's what they got. You gotta ask for it or you don't get it. It's just plastic to them they don't care.they made toothbrushes for the prison system wtf

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've tried a few and dropped one with 500 loose rounds of 45,,,,,,,shit everywhere!!!

There junk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Plastic by itself is too flexible for this application, ya need fiber reinforced plastic, FRP. More expensive to produce, stamping out metal cans would be cheaper most likely, which is probably why they don't exist.

4th, hit your rusty can with a sandblaster or sandpaper to get rid of the rust, then spray it down with a self etching primer. Mask off the top half so the latches and such are covered, then hit it with a thick coat of spray on bedliner. After it dries you will never have rust on the bottom again. Or buy a new one and hit it with the bedliner.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Plastic by itself is too flexible for this application, ya need fiber reinforced plastic, FRP. More expensive to produce, stamping out metal cans would be cheaper most likely, which is probably why they don't exist.

4th, hit your rusty can with a sandblaster or sandpaper to get rid of the rust, then spray it down with a self etching primer. Mask off the top half so the latches and such are covered, then hit it with a thick coat of spray on bedliner. After it dries you will never have rust on the bottom again. Or buy a new one and hit it with the bedliner.
    Thanks kernel hell I will just grab a new one. Just keep registration papers, insurance papers and a few small tools in the box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.