Thread: Off Grid Living - What Is Papercrete?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Off Grid Living - What Is Papercrete?

What Is Papercrete?

Not only is the building material incredibly inexpensive and Earth-friendly, it is also extremely durable.

Papercrete building blocks are most often made by upcycling used or discarded paper products with a sturdy frame of possibly rebar and metal lath added for support as well.

Building prepper retreat, homestead, or an off the grid home is most commonly done on a tight budget with self-sufficiency in mind. Paper concrete,, or papercrete homes are not exactly a new concept, but one that is undergoing a rapid resurgence and expansion around the world. Canvas concrete style temporary structures have been used by the military for many decades.

Read Full Story

Black Blade: A couple cool photos at the link. Seems like it should have similar properties to adobe and rammed earth type abodes.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There's cellulose in it... termites will eat it.

The article didn't even mention termites.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    There's cellulose in it... termites will eat it.

The article didn't even mention termites.
    TRX I do not think the termites can get too the cellulose. I have a similar product on my shed for siding. That picture is kind of showing an extensive use of the wood material and less concrete. Masonry like Siding like T1-11 boards are made from wood chips and concrete. Cheaper than T1-11 and almost indestructible.
    My siding has been on for about 12 years with virtually no wear or erosion. Straight wood T1-11 I would have been replacing every 3 or 4 years. Could Termites get in their and eat? Possible, but they have to work so hard for so little, they pick much easier targets. Eat through concrete for one bite? Nah off too the next house.
    A friend is in Cambodia now building dome homes for people. He blows up a PVC supported shell and injects this stuff in. Concrete slab contains the pipes and wiring. He is doing it for the poor, for God and to line his pockets with piles of green backs. $$$$$ Their selling good.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I dunno. I've seen them come through cracks in concrete I couldn't slip a piece of paper into, and I've seen them eat pressure-treated wood until nothing was left. Yes, the poison kills them... later, after they've done the damage.

Termites and I have a holy war raging now, after they ate the foundations and floor joists out of my house. I may be slightly biased on the subject...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I dunno. I've seen them come through cracks in concrete I couldn't slip a piece of paper into, and I've seen them eat pressure-treated wood until nothing was left. Yes, the poison kills them... later, after they've done the damage.

Termites and I have a holy war raging now, after they ate the foundations and floor joists out of my house. I may be slightly biased on the subject...
    TRX yeah I guess I agree. Hell you think you got it bad? Sheeet going up to check on my $40 grand tree house I am watching some mother frigging bugs eat. Fun living in a swamp, hell everything here bites stings and eats wood.
    Frigging cock roaches can flatten their bodies too the thickness of a dime and slip in. Guess the carpenter ants and termites can do the same? I put food on the floor, grab a beer and sit. Soon as the roaches reach the food, whacko hit em with a framing hammer.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

What a process!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Member#348

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I use to get into that kind of stuff when I could still dream about tomorrow. I wanted a underground home that I could heat with a candle and cool with air tubes running thru my lake in the middle of nowhere. My HVAC/R instructor turned me onto MotherEarthNews back in 1982.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.