Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014 garden harvests

Feedback Score

Default 2014 garden harvests

I am assuming many, if not most, here have a garden I thought it might be interesting to compare how things did this year.

Zucchini and yellow squash went crazy this year. We have shredded and frozen zucchini for making winter zucchini bread. I sliced yellow squash and zucchini and froze the slices for adding to soups, lasagna, spaghetti and so on. Last year these cropped were a complete flop.

Tomatoes, we planted Romas and Beefeater tomatoes this year. Not a stellar year for tomatoes. Last year we canned a couple dozen quarts and froze probably an equal amount. This year we will be lucky to freeze 4 quarts. Not sure what the issue was hear.

Pumpkins are running wild this year. We already have some pumpkins on the vines and several dozen more blossums. Last year didn't even get one pumpkin.

Potatoes and onions seem to be growing well. We planted about 10 times the onions and twice the potatoes of last year. We had a good crop last year we just didn't plant enough!

We planted a row of peas this year as an experiment and we will plant far more next year as they thrived and produced well for the few we planted.

Best year we have had yet for peppers. We freeze these too for winter use.

Let me know how you did. Next year we will expand and add corn to our garden.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

every year we do Tomato day. my folks and sisters & first cousins with a few family friends. Its a day long process of cleaning tomato's ( we buy them from a producer) quater the plum tomatos, boil them to loosen the skin, then run them through vegatable grinders ( no meat grinders) extract the seeds and skins, the pulp is then cooked.
    in large pots ( 20 gal ) on propane stoves, w/ tomato paste, garlic, oregano, basil, olive oil, touch salt n pepper, cooked for 1hour plus. mason jars are sterilized in other containers, once the sauce is cooked, its scooped in the jars, then the jars are canned ( boiled) sealed, this year we did not do as many, we had a few folks drop out .
    This process allows each family to have at least a conatiner of pre cooked tomato sauce a week for the year since we do not eat it once a week its always left over, my wife and I give to the in laws for hurricane supplies te tops of the jars are labeled with the year we are still eating 2010 jars
    oh my wife and I grown the basil and oregano, this is basic tomato sauce not ready to eat out of jar unless thats your preference

next week, im flying up north on business. if the weather is right( weather and fish determine if we go out overnight) I may go Tuna fishing to the hudson canyon, if so then my share of tuna ( real tuna) it will get bagged in food saver bags and divided amongest the family
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 garden harvests-tomato-day-2014.jpg  

Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

For us the whole garden thing is done for multiple reasons.

1) Eating healthier, no artificial fertilizers or pesticides. Our compost piles have produced HUGE tomato plants from seeds from tossed tomatoes. We have moved to buying beef, pork, and chickens from farmers who raise them naturally.

2) More self reliance. Not counting on the grocery store for everything is a good feeling.

3) It is an activity that my wife and I enjoy doing together. Including planting, tending, harvesting and either freezing or canning

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I grow hay & damn near lost everything this year!
    The baler spun a bearing & spit out a fireball!

2014 garden harvests-fire-004.jpg
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Damn! Did you forget to grease one of the bearings?
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score

Bradrock,

As a volunteer I was once at a fire that involved 250 round bales. The farmer decided to burn the dead grass along the fence row and it jumped into the bales and spread faster than he could react to. What a mess. We had to get tractors in and break apart all the bales and soak them down.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup,,putting out a round bail is like snuffing out a 1000 lb cigar,,there a pain in the ass and time consuming to put out, for sure!! A few years ago we had someone touching off some of the local farmers round bails 8-10 times with-in a weeks time,,assholes,,,they kept us out 8 nights in a row putting out hay barns and round bails, that sure made for a long day at work the next day after being out 3/4 of the night. They did catch them though, so that was a good thing.

At least you got it out of the baler before it toasted that too!! They sure don't give away farm implements nowadays!! So Thank God for small favors,,,,Bradrock

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The Cottage I'm renting has very little dirt so I do container grows. I did eight tomato plants this year. Pulled 15 maters two weeks ago. Will pull more today for my neighbor. They don't grow so big in my 20gal totes.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

Other than the squash, cucumbers, zucchini, peas and pumpkins, everything else we grow is in raised boxes. They are between 3 feet wide and either 6 or 8 feet long. That way you only have to compost and weed a small area.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BackAgain View Post
    I am assuming many, if not most, here have a garden I thought it might be interesting to compare how things did this year.

Zucchini and yellow squash went crazy this year. We have shredded and frozen zucchini for making winter zucchini bread. I sliced yellow squash and zucchini and froze the slices for adding to soups, lasagna, spaghetti and so on. Last year these cropped were a complete flop.

Tomatoes, we planted Romas and Beefeater tomatoes this year. Not a stellar year for tomatoes. Last year we canned a couple dozen quarts and froze probably an equal amount. This year we will be lucky to freeze 4 quarts. Not sure what the issue was hear.

Pumpkins are running wild this year. We already have some pumpkins on the vines and several dozen more blossums. Last year didn't even get one pumpkin.

Potatoes and onions seem to be growing well. We planted about 10 times the onions and twice the potatoes of last year. We had a good crop last year we just didn't plant enough!

We planted a row of peas this year as an experiment and we will plant far more next year as they thrived and produced well for the few we planted.

Best year we have had yet for peppers. We freeze these too for winter use.

Let me know how you did. Next year we will expand and add corn to our garden.
    Sounds like you had a pretty good crop. That's cool. Thanks for posting your info. It'll be interesting to see how everyone is tracking on their gardens over the next couple seasons.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.