Gunco Forums banner

Compound Vs Recurve Bow: Which is The Best For SHTF Scenario?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dutigaf 
#1 ·
Compound Vs Recurve Bow: Which is The Best For SHTF Scenario?

This question – and many others of the same nature – have been flooding our inboxes over the past month. Many folks who have just realized the benefits that come with using archery for SHTF are confused on the right bow to invest in for SHTF use.

Read Full Article

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I had a nice Bear recurve I bought off my LT back in 77. I think it was a 55lb draw. About seven years ago I spotted a Barnett crossbow in a pawn shop that needed work. I got it for a $20 out the door. Stripped it and camo painted it, new string and 6 new bolts. My x-son took them for a walk last year.

#4 ·
I like and use both, but as far as a shtf situation I think a recurve may be better, since its simpler. A lot of things to go wrong with a compound. That said, I do have some older (at least 25-30 yrs old) compound bows that still work just fine. I would keep plenty of extra strings for them, whichever you choose.

#6 ·
As Dew stated, recurves seldom have anything go wrong with them. make an arrow from a branch, rock and cordage.

Compounds are great but high maintenance. very fickle with arrows

For the busted up guys with the bad backs or shoulders, the crossbow is king.

sit and wait,,, thwak. Send the youngins to deal with the mess

#8 ·
Same in Md if you have a pin in your shoulder. A co-worker has one and it is bad-ass.

It seems to be lower maintenance than a compound and a whole lot more powerful and versatile than a recurve.

It's also as accurate as a good 1911. Costed about the same too.

#9 ·
id go recurve since i posted that how to make a recurve out of PVC a few years back. :)

but in all SHTF honesty? the ATACS crossbow on the AR lower is just an absolute MUST have for those times.

hitting pie plates at 100yds with a 1lb arrow!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.