Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MG42 kit builds

Feedback Score

Hmmmm. I was pretty sure that BRP's semi is a stamped receiver.

Of the home built semis that I have seen, all of them were rewelds. Can you build one yourself? Sure you can. We've amassed enough info and pics to get you started anyway.

I'll see if I can get CWtoyota to chime in and show you guys the pics of his home built semi MG42. It's a thing of beauty.

Oh and the rewelding jig isn't as tough to make as you might think.

Because rewelding is the only economical way to build this, people are very picky about how the demil has been done. IO had the best demils for MG42 kits. Now Angola Armory seems to have the best. I think Dan uses a 6 head CNC torch cutting machine to cut his exactly where he wants them.

Here are a few pics of the different demils out there.

This one is an IO kit. These are very buildable receivers. The demil is very good but it's a 4 cut. Sorry I couldn't find any close ups.

This one is from Angola Armory. These are the best I've ever seen. He missed all of the vital areas with his 3 cut demil yet still legal. This is how they should all be done.

Now for those of you that are sqeamish, you might want to look away. This is a 4 cut demil from a kit bought from Allegheny Arsenal (www.mg34.com site that was linked to earlier). This is the reason we pay more for our kits. You get what you pay for. These are garbage to a builder.

I hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Shortround -- You're a blessing!!

I've watched several buys go through you guys. Current is a mg34 if I remember right. Definitely more than I want to try.

Are you looking at another on these?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Very intersting... thanks for that info Shortrnd! SO... I need to get this clear in my mind. It appears that I can either:
    1. Weld the original back together, modify for SA only
    2. Buy an 80% and weld it to the barrel shroud.
    3. Buy a BRPGuns kit for 2-3x the cost.
    That's my read. It is looking promising, as we are talking about < $1,000 for the whole 8mm enchilada. Due to ammo cost, I think I'd stick with 8mm but would like to keep any .308 options available. VERY INTERESTING. Things that make you go HRM.

Of course, there's always that PKM kit GB... 7.62x54R is fairly cheap these days too. I need another credit card!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Angola has the cut receiver for $250.

It's a little backwards but...

And Cw T might help on the figure it out part.

Worst case -- out $250. Otherwise, we have a good receiver and look for best 8mm kit!!

Edit-- I just got the Weaponeer link to go. What do ya'll think?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

My pleasure guys!

Pookie, it looks like you've got it summed up pretty good. The Philly Ords aren't worth it for the MG42 IMHO. Those are milled and will be much more work than the average home builder will want to do. Now their MG34 receivers are very interesting and look to be a very good starting point if you are an experienced machinist.

One thing that I want to point out right away is this. If you even put a single tack weld on that 3 cut receiver you are in violation of federal law. You must..........let me try that again....... you MUST make your semi auto modifications before you even think about starting to reweld. I know you guys are familiar enough with the law to know that but big brother IS watching. I just wanted to throw that out there for those that don't know.

Pookie is right about the MG42 thread on Weaponeer. It's a really really tough read as is. I've been talking to CWtoyota about putting together a tutorial for building this using that thread and his own pics. He's so busy right now that it may be the end of the year before it gets done but it'll be worth it. We'll just have to stay patient and see what happens.

There will always be nay-sayers about building your own belt feds. 99% of the time those people fall into 3 categories:
    1. they work for the ATF
    2. they own an over priced NFA transferrable FA gun of the same type
    3. they are an FFL that builds semi auto belt feds

As you can see, all 3 of those types have something to lose by you building your own gun. Don't be deterred. You can do it........and do it safely and legally. I can point you to others that have too.

I'm also working with an SOT to either do the semi auto rewelds or sell the reweld jigs in a group buy. This will be a ways down the road but something to keep in mind.

Oh and it looks like hcpookie found our latest group buy on MG42 parts kits.

If I can help you guys with anything else just give a holler. I'll try to post more pics in the next couple of days.

Feedback Score

sell the jigs pls!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Shortrnd - I'm PM'ing you with a question...

Feedback Score

back at ya pookie

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I can't get back on to the site so I'll post some questions here that are probably already answered there.

From short round I understand modifications must be made to the internal components prior to work on the receiver.

I'm assuming these fire from an open bolt. The required modifications would be a semi automatic fire control group operating on a firing pin in a closed bolt?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

mg34 demil receiver

mg42 rear sheet metal kit

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.