Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MG42 kit builds

Feedback Score

You just need to modify your receiver before you weld it back together. The internals can be done at a later date.

Most of the guys are using AR15 FCG and it will need to operate from a closed bolt.

I can't get on the site either........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    I'm assuming these fire from an open bolt. The required modifications would be a semi automatic fire control group operating on a firing pin in a closed bolt?
    My understanding is htat you/we are making a basic hammer-fired trigger group to work on a big honkin' receiver. When I say "basic hammer-fired" I mean a normal AR or AK design - hammer, trigger, disconnector.

The original MG42 appears to be a design that looks a lot like the Suomi kit I recently owned. The modifications should be easier since the SA work will be to mill a notch for the receiver, just like a 1919A4 mod, so that the receiver cannot physically use FA parts due to the big shim/block that is a part of the receiver.

I really need to get my grubby little hands on one of these. It is becoming more of a puzzle/quest that must be conquered!

Check this out too: http://www.mg42.us

Feedback Score

Great link pookie!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    I really need to get my grubby little hands on one of these. It is becoming more of a puzzle/quest that must be conquered!
    Jerry-- this is the one I've looked at for years.

The design is a classic, copied by everyone, used by everyone. They're generally considered the best in the world.

I don't expect to know what I'm doing ahead of time (be lucky to know what I'm doing when finished), just a general idea of the scope involved.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

I smell a VA build party!

At the top of the MG42 site are [boxes] that discuss the various aspect of semi build (Rcvr, Bolt, Pistol Grip, Basics). These are actually threads from last year's Weaponeer posts and have been broken down and refined somewhat for easier reading.

http://www.salt6.com/qa.htm#Q.%20%20...ved%20by%20ATF

Feedback Score

That's a long way to travel for me Foo. You'll have to give me the details if you get something going.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Shortrnd
    That's a long way to travel for me Foo. You'll have to give me the details if you get something going.
    The wife says we need new curtains, that should get you out of the house. ;^)

Think of the shipping I'd save if you happened to be headed out here.

Feedback Score

LOL! I'll have to try that one out on the wife.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OK I'm signed up... they are .308 caliber, correct? There seems to be some FUD about *exactly* what is involved with a caliber conversion.

Due to the cheapness of 8mm, I'd like to have an 8mm setup 1st, with .308 conversion parts 2nd. That said, it appears the 8mm parts will work for both .308 and 8mm, but .308 parts will work only for .308. I think. IO has .308 conversion parts and I suppose I could get a list of needed parts and go from there. Going to have to make my own FAQ

Foo, I don't have the confidence that my welding skills or equipment is up to the task, so we'll have to get something worked out on that. I have a friend in Charlotte NC who could do it but that's about a 5-hour drive.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    OK I'm signed up...
    Oh No-- When this one seemed to die a second page death I breathed easier. Dodged the belt feed bullet.

And I've a buddy who is a superb welder....And Jerry, having your level of expertise to help with the stops.

Ahhhhh
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

mg34 demil receiver

mg42 rear sheet metal kit

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.