Gunco Forums banner

Something Completely different, a weld build!!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pirate56 
#1 ·
I have built a few ak's and needed something different and a little more challenging, So I got a mg 42 kit and am building a semi-auto. I hooked up with a guy from Miami and we had a mini build party today. Here are the results so far!
I got a HF tig welder and it works great, a lot of performance for a little $$$
We got the receivers welded and now they need to be ground and all the parts fitted. then the gripsticks and bolts nedd to be modified for semi auto. A LOT of work, but a fun project!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Two questions! Do they torch cut the barrel shroud too? Looks like a cool build to me, is it 8mm or .308?
I had a video that showed a guy build an AK receiver from flat stock by welding the sides together, looked damn crude but it worked just fine. It may have looked OK when he cleaned up all the welds and finished the metal later but that wasn?t shone on the video.

#6 ·
These kits are cut in 3 places, the front about 2" back from the muzzle booster, in front of the trunion and about 3" from the rear. the parts are relatively easy to line up, I used flat stock for the rear and made a simple jig for the middle cut, then just eyeballed the front.
The kit is .308, I really wanted an 8mm because ammo is really cheap. I plan on getting the 8mm parts so I will be able to shoot both. This thing has a LOT of parts, about 8 ak kits worth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.