Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want to build a semi auto mg 42?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Default Want to build a semi auto mg 42?

I am currently finishing up a semi auto MG 42. This has been a real challenging build as there was not a lot of detailde information available when I started and had to work out most of the build myself. to further complicate matters the semi conversion was not really reliable and even the $5k+ guns from BRP don't work reliably with all ammo types. After a couple of months of R & D and lots of testing I have gotten a working gun that shoots all types of .308 and 8mm ammo reliably. The changes were to the semi conversion to the bolt and the gripstick.
    Basically the BRP conversion uses aan AR 15 FCG which is not up to the task at hand. the 2 peoblems being failure to fire and blown primers with boxer primed ammo. Basically I felt that the AR fcg was designed for a small rifle primer and the hammer and hammer spring were not up to holding the firing pin in place causing blown primers, and failures to fire.
    My solution was to find another fcg that was designrd for large rifle primers and had a strong hammer spring. After looking at several fcg's I settled on the FAL parts. After buildinf a test setup the FAL parts worked very well and solved the primer and FTF problems.
    The second problem was the firing pin, I made and tested several pins and increaset the pin diameter to 3/16" to have a more ridgid pin. This improved ignition but caused other problems with binding that caused slam fires. This was corrected by using the original mg42 firing pin and making a striker. the new setup has been thouroughly tested with almost 800 rounds of both .308 and 8mm ammo of different types.
    All the parts were designed to be simple, reliable and doable by the average home builder without a machine shop.
    The build is basically a 3 step process:
    1. Reconstructing the receiver, modifying it to semi configuration and installing the rails. this is a days worth of TIG welding and grinding. a simple alignment jig can be made for a few dollars.
    2. modifying the gripstick, this consists of making and installing sideplates in the gripstick and a hammer tube stop and trigger return spring retainer. some grinding and reshaping of the FAL hammer is also required.
    Modifying the bolt, requires drilling the bolt wedge and feed stud, making a striker and making and welding on a bolt extension.

This project will cost from about $700.00 to $1,000.00 depending on where you get your parts and how much of the work you do yourself since a BRP semi costs over $5.000.00 it is a worth while build, to say notheing of the WOW factor. I will be supplying a kit of conversion parts and possibly doing some of the bolt and gripstick work.

Basically to get started you need a kit with a rebuildable receiver. there are several suppliers of kits all have advantages and disadvantages.
    there are 3 types of guns, mg42 in 8mm, M53 yugos in 8mm and mg3 kits in .308. If tou get an 8mm gun you only need a feed cover, feed tray and bbl to convert to .308.
    If you get a .308 gun you will need a bbl, feed tray, feed cover, recouperator and booster cone.
    Most of the parts are readily available from several sources, the only problem part is the bbls. they all were bought up when the bbl ban hit.

Since this is a complex gun I would strongly recommend getting the best parts to eliminate problems from worn out parts, in the long run a good kit will save you money.

There are 2 types of receivers available, 3 cuts and 4 cuts, the 3 cuts being less work to reconstruct. the only source for 3 cuts is Angola Armoury, Dan is currently out of receivers but will have more available in January along with kits
    http://www.angolaarmory.com/mg42.html

Kits are available with 4 cut receivers from IO quality varries, there are some currently on sale, for $399.00 these are listed as .308 yugo M53 kits they also have 8mm kits for more money.
    Century has 8mm Yugo kits with no receivers for $350.00
    BRP may have more German mg42 kits coming but they do not have the rear part of the receiver.
    I will start moving a copy of my build tutorial over here this weekend.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I can't wait to hear how your weekend test turns out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    Century has 8mm Yugo kits with no receivers for $350.00
    You have a link? I've got tons of .308 stuff but want to have 8mm swap-out as an option. Need 8mm barrels & feed trays...

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

The range is closed due to the impending hurricane, got to wait to see what happens with that.
    Redjacket will be selling some 8mm parts.
    Angola armoury also has 8mm bbls, top covers and feed trays.

Gunsmith-In-Training cheezytwang's Avatar
    Feedback Score

oh, if i only had the skills to build one myself.....
    "my name is mike brandyberry and i hope to be your gunsmith!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bump - re-reading the steps, I wanted to point out that, based on the posts I've read elsewhere, step #2 of Pirate's list needs to be "step #1" - if you weld on the receiver before you modify the grip, you're committing the felony of constructing a machine gun.

Modifying the grip stick eliminates this "loophole".

Now that it is cooling off outside, I'm dusting off this and my PKM kit. The MG42 is "complete" by itself, but the PKM still needs a receiver... SO I'll probably build my MG42 first.

I've got to get cracking on this. Foobar mentioned pooling our resources so we may have to have an MG build party
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Count me in.

The Weaponeer receiver is together but nothing more.

Got 2 more from I/O and cleaned them up last night.

These are a challenge.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Count me in.

The Weaponeer receiver is together but nothing more.

Got 2 more from I/O and cleaned them up last night.

These are a challenge.
    God god Winn!!!, with 3 of them you will need ammo by the tractor trailer load!!
    I go through a couple of hundred rounds in a few minutes with only one!!
    Check the mg42 board for details on the conversion parts. I will put you on the list.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Well -- I've never handled moderation well, ah hell.

I neglected to mention the almost two 8mm kits Will at Red Jacket sent me.

And pirate -- did you load your how to here? Where?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I read his walkthrough on the MG42 site. I like that jig! Simple and effective.

It looks like the FAL FCG is the way to go. I'm going to build that jig before I get ahead of myself.

Have any other OOB misfires? It wasn't clear to me as to the root cause.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.