Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Semi PKM build

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Default Semi PKM build

I have been looking at the hungarian pkm kits, it would be a really killer beltfed to have, however the price of the kits being almost $1,800.00 and no information available on doing a build is kind of holding me back.
    There was talk when the group buys were going of conversions and receivers in progress, but it seems it was a lot of bs to pump the sale of kits.
    Does anyone here have a kit or any information of anyone doing a semi build?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

buy a RPD from VECTOR ARMS, for less of the cost of a PKM parts kit, you can get a complete RPD from VECTOR, that is if you have a FFL, or have a buddy who has a FFL that will buy it for you, and sell it to you at cost.......if not it will cost you 2 grand.

no one that I know of is making semi auto PKM receivers, or going to in the near furture. there just isn't a market for them to go through the hassel of making one submitting to the ATF tech branch for approval. it's all about $$$$$$$
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I already have a vector RPD. The pkm is some real fire power, and would like to build one. I am thinking of tackling the project, but the $$$ for the kit is a little scary. It would be nice if vector wold build these I would be in for one in a heartbeat.

Feedback Score

Somebody in Tucson is working on one I think. Maybe its Ted Marshall but I dont know for sure.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

DO IT!

I got one of the $1200 Weaponeer kits + tripod + bipod and a spare barrel. I'm certain a semi can be built up. I don't think it will be before Christmas but it will happen. Hell give me enough time and I'll get some pics arranged together.

I about shit myself when I saw these $1800 kits. They come WITH a spare barrel that I paid $450 for... and with an ammo box (or boxes?), at least one belt, the bipod, tripod, and I think a wood shipping box. SHIITE! By the time I put all my stash together I have a more beat-up kit and fewer accessories. These $1800 kits are Hungarian and from the pics they look less used and in better shape than the Romy kits. If I were to choose, I'd get one of these kits. The tripod alone is valued at around $400-$500 *if* you can find one. I think the only other accessory is a sling and drop case (which may come at that price). Buy it all at once, or like me buy it piece-by-piece. I expect I'll still be collecting accessories for it 3 years from now. There are no receiver parts that come with it...

All of these are from MGS, unless I've misunderstood their supply chain. I'm not sorry, I just wish there was more than one game in town (MGS) to drive prices down.

The PKM is a bit different than normal belt-feds in that they shoot the 7.62x54R RIMMED cartridge. They use Maxim belts. They must pull the cartridge back out of the belt with a double-fingered pawl, then when moving forward a finger pushes the cartridge down into the feed ramp. This "pull" action is a bit longer than for example a disentigrating belt pusher (like an M60). That, and they feed right-to-left.

I think you could wait on it - you're only saving about the cost of shipping, nothing more. They will probably sell out, but not before Christmas. Probably around tax return time.

One thing that sold me on the PKM design vs. RPD is the hot-swap barrel arrangement. Before the barrel ban I was planning to adopt this to 5.45x39, but now I may have to wait to see how that caliber barrel pans out in the US mfr world.

Let me know if you want me to snap some pics - I'm leaving out for a few days but I can lay the parts out in the garage before I leave out...

This is a 2006 project for me...

HTH,
    - Jerry
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

I found the Weaponeer site last night and one of the posters over there had been at the recent SAR show. He said he talked to MGS about their kits and saw one. There was also a company there working on building some full rifles from kits with their own receiver. Things sounded pretty promising. Personally I'm not sure they sounded promising enough yet to invest $1300-1800 in a kit...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

HC, if you could post a couple of pics of the front and rear trunnion it would be good. I am planning on getting a kit soon and trying to come up with a receiver / conversion if possible. It sounds like the feed is like a browning with pull out links.
    if the receiver is sheet metal it should not be to hard to build one.
    If a semi does hit the market the kit price will skyrocket.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    PKM were built on sheet metal.......it's the PKs that had milled receivers
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I have always wanted to learn CAD, but since I had no reason to use it I never did. The PKM looks like a perfect project to do with it. I just had some parts laser cut from emachine for mg42 grip semi conversions, so the PKM receiver would be a candidate for this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    HC, if you could post a couple of pics of the front and rear trunnion it would be good. I am planning on getting a kit soon and trying to come up with a receiver / conversion if possible. It sounds like the feed is like a browning with pull out links.
    If a semi does hit the market the kit price will skyrocket.
    Will do tonight!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.