Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MG42 (actually Yugo M53) kit arrived!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I must agree with WinnR on this one. Using books, literature, diagrams, or any reference is, in fact, cheating.

Damn you Rhino, now you're gonna force me into the MG42 madness.
    Я люблю работать с очень большими молотками
    Yuh nah waste out yuh chance fi paint di town red,
    Cause when yuh buss it up, a fi mek Babylon fled
    And uh respect rasta livety yuh nah dis no dread

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That sounds about what Foobarr got on his IO kit from last year. It looked REAL nice. I got mine on a GB from Dan @ Angola Armory and must say I've had it out of the box a total of 20 minutes to look at the parts.

I'm going to build a Pirate jig since that seems the most logical assembly method for me and my monkey welder skills.

Rhino, you may be surprised on the 8mm parts. The barrels are suddenly very expensive (was $40 last Spring) and if possible you'd want to get at least two (why have hot swap barrels if nothing to swap?). Since 8mm is larger, try to find 8mm stuff like ammo boxes, drums, and the like. That gives you one size parts for both calibers.

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pirate is "helping" me with my build. I purchased the .308 version, but he said that the 8mm ammo was really cheap, so I ordered 8mm barrel ,top cover feed tray and booster, so that I could shoot 8mm. When Pirate and me was looking over the parts, he noticed that my IO kit was sent with a .308 barrel, but it had an 8mm top cover and feed tray. I figured I might as well order another 8mm barrel for a spare. I looked at all my spare parts and figured I might as well order another kit (from dan at Angola). Dan agreed to sell me a partial kit with all the parts minus what I already have. In addition to kits and parts, I believe that I have ordered MG42 accessories from every company that sells them.
    I see a pattern here starting!!!!
    gtbehary........ ak builder, hack machinist, nuclear worker and violin huckster!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Guys, it is called belt fed fever, since I got my first 42 kit, I decided if one is good then two definately has to be better!! then I got an mg34 kit, a 1919 kit and finally a PKM kit!! with 2 mg15 kits for good measure, a watercooled and an air cooled!!
    as soon as I get them done I should have time to work on my DP28 and Bren!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Fever is right , I've got a work table cover with accesories for my MG42. Just ordered a Sokolove mount that I'm going to adapt to the MG42
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I was thinking about ordering an 8mm barrel, feed tray, and top cover for mine. Even if I don't intend to use it, I know it would be a good investment.

I may pick up a couple extra top covers and trays to see if it's possible to adjust the feed pawls to works with m249 links and 5.56 ammo. I don't even know if it's possible, but it would make for much more affordable belt dumps...

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ok -- mine jams up. The barrel hangs back and I've not got the AK attitude of take it off and if it's not the right thing add weld.

I had to sit it down. More on this later.

And -- Everyone download the BRP book. Fifty pages of free info.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

The SOG flyer yesterday had these kits in it for $250.. I might have to get one..
    Repeal FOPA NOW!!!!!

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

The only piece of the receiver that comes with the SOG kits is the front section. The way these pieces are cut renders the section completely useless. The threaded insert that is pressed into the receiver is cut off on these pieces.

You will have to pick up a new receiver front, and all of the rear pieces, that's if you can even find them. A new front end with the threaded insert will run about $150 to $200. The rear pieces will be about the same if you can find them. From the pics I've seen, the SOG, Century, and Centerfire receivers look to be cut farther forward through the trunnion (camming piece) area. This means that the gap between the parts will be wider than you may want to deal with.

Your other options are Angola Armory cut receiver sets or a complete BRP dummy receiver. The Angola cut receiver is $300 and the BRP is around $900. If you plan on going with the BRP receiver, the SOG kit is the way to go.

Dan at Angola has .308 kits with salvageable receivers for $550.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ryan -- you've pegged the key issue. Centerfire's are the same way.

Don't buy a kit if the receiver parts are not included.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.