Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MG42 (actually Yugo M53) kit arrived!!!!

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default MG42 (actually Yugo M53) kit arrived!!!!

Well, FedEx just dropped off my new toy. This thing is freakin' cool!

All parts are present and accounted for. I was kind of concerned by the amount of tape and battered end of the box, but all the parts made it here together!

The buttstock is wooden, and isn't too beat up. A solvent soaking and some minor sanding will get it looking almost new.

The barrel is in perfect shape. I was worried after reading a few posts about some that folks on the MG42 board got some really ugly kits from I/O. This one is REALLY nice. It's stamped 7.62x51 on the barrel, so I know they sent the right one.

The receiver looks like all the pieces are from the same original gun. All the cuts line up and there is a fairly uniform gap at each one. With some cleanup of the cuts, even I should be able to stitch this back together.

The only part that suffered any damage was the recuperator. The plunger looks a little rough and the threaded stud is neutered. There's a little ridge that runs the length of the piece and it's a bit mashed at the plunger end. It can easily be straightened, so no worries about that one.

Since I know the "worthless without pics" smilies will be posted by someone, I'm linking a pic to this post. Rather than post a pic of my kit, here's the one from I/O. The only difference is that this pic shows a bakelite buttstock. I can't see taking up more space in my gallery with a pic of the exact same parts.

All I can say to those of you who are on the fence about getting one of these kits, is this:

GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GET ONE WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Last edited by Rhino_66; 01-23-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Awsome kit ya got Rhino! looks like you'll have you're hands full . So get off your ash and start build'n!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

How much did you pay? I recently had a horrible experience with Century where they shorted me on a barrel. Won't ever deal with them again. I hope to get in on one of AA's new shipment of MG42 kits for $550. Did it come with ALL of the recevier sections?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

man , that thing looks great. Are you going to use Pirate's Fal conversion for the grip stick ?
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

The I/O kit was $399.95 for .308. The Yugo 8mm kit is $499.95. The German MG42 kit is $599.95

http://www.interordnance.com/Merchan..._Code=MG420003

I went with .308 because I like the round. I can always buy an 8mm barrel, topcover and feed tray later.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    14 (89%)

M53 (pedestrojka) sucks ass. I had one in Bosnia. I can tell that all Yugo M53 jam when or rapid fire. Soldiers hated them. They are too heavy, they shoot slower than ak and they jam the belt all the time.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Good looking kit!! good luck with your build. it will be the baddest gun at the range!!
    glad to see some of you starting to think outside of the ak box!!!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Prepare

Gird thy loins

For thou art to do battle!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You know, something that occurred to me after I built mine , their are manuals for these thing's . handy little thing's , books
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jacket Firearms
    You know, something that occurred to me after I built mine , their are manuals for these thing's . handy little thing's , books
    Will -- thought that was like cheating?

Ryan -- check your rails for straight. The thread on the nipple is 5mm-.8.
    8-32's work for temp rail holders but the heads must be ground down.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.