Thread: RPD Vs RPK

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default RPD Vs RPK

Outside of the fact that it would just be cool to own a RPD, are there any major practical advantages over a RPK?

I have a 1919 already so I have a little piece of the beltfed fever. It seems though that the RPK can do basically everything a RPD can, and then some. Enlighten me.
    "No honey, that old thing, I've had that for years"
    Kalashnikov Georgia Builders
    member # 047

Feedback Score

I would also liek top know. I though they were basically the same, but I could be wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

RPK and the RPD are two very different beasts. Different operation between the two, being one of the major differences. Also, the RPK is fed from a standard AK magazine, whereas the RPD is belt fed. The major advantage of an RPD to an RPK, is the fact that the RPD has the quick change barrel, whereas the RPK's barrel design is based on that of the AKM, where it is fixed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NCshooter26
    is the fact that the RPD has the quick change barrel, whereas the RPK's barrel design is based on that of the AKM, where it is fixed.
    the RPD does not have a quick change barrel....you might be thinking of a PKM. the reason the soviets went from the RPD to the RPK, is simply that the commonality of the parts, use the same magazine, which is a very nice feature as if you run out of ammo for it, you can grab a AK mag and keep going. run out of ammo for a RPD, and you have to put the rounds in a belt....... there is also less parts that can wear out in a RPK then with the RPD....which means less failures

not to mention the ease and faster production, the RPK uses the same bolt group and fire control group as the AKM, and is on a stamped sheet metal receiver, therefore producting it as a light machinegun would save time since the RPD is built on milled receiver, and has to go through a lot of milling procedures, also it is much heavier then the RPK

as for the advatages ...the RPD is much more accurate then the PRK......but that kind of advantage is not in the soviet way of thinking.
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think he might be wanting to compare the RPD to the PKM instead of the RPK?

Esay way to compare the 2 is think of them like this:
    The RPD is like the M60 and the PKM is like the 1919.
    The RPD is a light mobile belt fed that eats 7.62X39.
    The PKM is a heavy mobile belt fed that eats 7.62X54R.

The only advantages I would say is over-all costs (let's say as parts kits), the PKM is like 2 to 3 times the cost of the RPD. You can buy almost 2000 rnds for the PKM at about the same price as a 1000 rnds for the RPD. So if your going to shot it a lot the PKM would be more up front but then with the savings in ammo they'd kind-of balance out after about 20,000 rnds or so.

But if I could afford one I'd get the PKM just for the "coolness" factor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I also read in small arms of the world the soviets had continuing problems with the RPD that were never fully resolved. One problem that comes to mind was a stated lack of energy in bringing the belt up for the next round of feeding. In the short time the soviets fielded it they made, I think it was 3 models, to try and fix the problems, then when to the RPK.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I was trying to rationalize a RPD kit, but it doesn't really seem like there is anything that it can really do better than a RPK. If it was 7.62x54, I'd be all over it, but for now I'll stick with the RPK's....
    member # 047

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by robpiat
    I was trying to rationalize a RPD kit, but it doesn't really seem like there is anything that it can really do better than a RPK.
    actually if you look at it, there is no rational for buying any "AW" type rifle.....they just look "cool" and are fun to shoot. the rational, if you can call it that, of why I bought a VECTOR ARMS RPD, it's unique, and a belt fed weapon, and a fun weapon to shoot.......a RPK is just another AKM.....I already have plenty of those. I just figured it's time for a change, and the price is right on those

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Todd @ORF ballparked a price of 750-1000 for the receiver...at that, I'll buy a vector...
    member # 047

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by robpiat
    Todd @ORF ballparked a price of 750-1000 for the receiver...at that, I'll buy a vector...
    that is a good move.......by the time you add in all the money you will spend on the receiver, parts kit, the modification you will need to do to it, and the US parts.......you are going to be close to the same price you can buy one fully assembled and ready to shoot from VECTOR.

the best part about ordering from VECTOR is that they will not ask for a deposit, or any money up front, they will add you to the list of customers and when they are ready to ship they will call you and you can pay for it then. just make sure that your FFL dealer has his licence on file with them to where they will ship to

if you know a FFL dealer that you are very good friends with, he can buy it at dealers cost, and sell it to you for the same amount plus sales taxes.....even with sales taxes, it's still a couple hundred bucks less the MSRP of 1995

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.