Gunco Forums banner

More belt fed fun

14K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  pirate56 
#1 ·
This is in no way meant to be a tutorial, there is already an excellent one on the m1919a4 forum.
This is more like a journal of my first attempt at one of these builds.
I've gathered all the necessary parts and equipment so here goes.

For those unfamiliar with a m1919 build, the RSP (right side plate) is the receiver according to the alphabet boys.
I bought a 80% RSP from brasscartridge on the 1919 forum. excellent piece of work, I highly recommend.

Turning a 80% RSP into a finished "receiver" is mostly drilling, counter sinking, filing/fitting etc.
The only required tools I did not already own were a 9/16" cobalt bit and a special 60 degree counter sink (available from Brownell's).

This was todays assignment
Here's pics at both 80% and finished.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I finally got a chance to spend a little more time on this.
I got the front cartridge stop, rear cartridge stop and pintle pad riveted on.
The side plate is now ready to be riveted back on.

I was a little concerned about deforming the front cartridge stop when riveting it in, so a made a little jig.
The stop is 5/8" long, so I scrounged up a piece of 5/8" bar stock and drilled a "N" hole through it. This made the face of the stop perfectly level with the top of the bar. Voil?, instant jig.
It worked perfectly, keeping the stop at exactly 90 degrees to the plate while pressing.

Attachments

#14 ·
Looks great. I started mine yesterday. Got it mocked up then got all the receiver holes drilled. Waiting on a 60deg countersink bit before I can go any further.

I'm using a heat treated Sam Alvarez RSP I got from him about 2 years ago (do I have a back log of projects or what). I'd like to get it engraved before I rivet. Who does a nice job without costing an arm and a leg?

#19 · (Edited)
It's a rare Frank sighting/posting :D

I've used my Plinkers riveting jigs so much I've just about worn them out. :eek:

Just finished up the riveting on this today. Just need to clean up the large rivet heads a bit and test fire then park. Frank, your 1919A4 jig forms beautiful heads.

Oh yea, almost forgot; T&S plate on OOW kit. Sam's plates are the best on the market IMHO. Plate completely heat treated and rear 2" additional treatment per spec. Evens comes with heat treat records and certificate. If you want the best plates, call Sam Alverez but prepare to wait for a few months. FWIW - I'm never in any hurry when it comes to the best.......:brows:

Attachments

#20 ·
I've been hanging out on Snowest(snowmobile forum) during the winter when I'm not in the shop.

I build mine with a RF side plate and had AZEX park it. I want to build my next one on a T&S sideplate. (I feel the need for a twin mount) The RF sideplate is nice, but on the two I got a while ago I feel that the rear slot is a little too wide.

#21 ·
I've also felt the need for twins but no twin mount yet. Like many things in life they appear more at ease and correct in appearance with one of their own present.

Both these home built on T&S plates. Tripod mounted 1919a4 RSP coloration due to shadow cast by the chair to the left

FYI - 1942 Houde Eng M2 tripod in original condition

Thanks again Plinker for your rivet jigs. Made my life much more pleasant - besides that I just can't get the hang of bolt cutter squeezers on AK builds to get a nice centered and well formed head.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.