Gunco Forums banner

Semi Auto Vickers preview & range report

4K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  pirate56 
#1 ·
I got some pictures from Sherman of his semi auto vickers, he range tested it and it works flawlessly. Sherman is a master machinist and builder. He will be selling conversion parts and services and I will be hosting the build tutorial on my site.

http://projectguns.com/vickerstest

#2 ·
Thanks Pirate !!!! I didn't need to see that........................:usuck:

Must resist...............don't need another kit......don't need another kit......don't need another kit......don't need another kit......don't need another kit......don't need another kit......don't need another kit............................................MUST HAVE ANOTHER KIT :D

I'm pathetic :help2:

#9 ·
where do you get the right side plate?

i willing to do this because i like odd things w/ firearms. everyone has a 1919 but not many people have a vickers.

okay so the kit is 700,
the parts for semi are 495,
the welding/services/cost? need this to determine possibility

where would you get belts?

#10 ·
Handyman,
the side plates will be available from at least 2 sources. Sherman will also be doing the lock conversions, he has not determined the price yet.
You can use maxim metal belts, us ordnance for one has cloth belts.
considering the cost of a us ord semi, this is a good deal for a very desireable gun.

#12 ·
what would the two sources be? im really interested in this.

im sorry if i sound kind of stupid here it is just that i dont know much about the vickers. this looks cool enough for me to attempt.

thanks for the location on the belts. i like that the maxim belts work.

is the tripod a 1928 colt one? in the pics.

#13 ·
Illya, yes the trunnion is riveted and soldered

Handym, I can't say who will be making the sideplates, but they wil be available.
Sherman will have kits in stock with the semi parts by the first of the year, he will also be doing the lock frame mods, He hasn't set a price on those yet.

The tripod in the photos is a vickers tripod.

#17 ·
first photo is the lock frame retracted
another with the cover open
Next is the lock frame closed.
The barrel attaches to the bottom links

As you can see there is a lot of parts inside, it is a quite complicated mechanism.
however once the lock frame and other parts are machined it is mostly soldering and riveting up the receiver box.
It is a expensive and challenging buiuld, but worth it I think.

Attachments

#20 ·
Naw, not yet. But I did order one of IMA's Bren 2 barrel assemblies.

Right now all my gun money is going to Harlan and Mike at NDS for receivers. Need to get receivers for the kits I already have. Never know what Nancy and the other Demon-cratic Washington clowns have planned for the next Legislative session.

Maybe after that, if IMA still has Vickers kits............................

#21 ·
Illya Kuryakin said:
Naw, not yet. But I did order one of IMA's Bren 2 barrel assemblies.

Right now all my gun money is going to Harlan and Mike at NDS for receivers. Need to get receivers for the kits I already have. Never know what Nancy and the other Demon-cratic Washington clowns have planned for the next Legislative session.

Maybe after that, if IMA still has Vickers kits............................
I know what you mean, I have considered buying 10 oow's to have on hand.

Even if you spent your gun money you can give up breakfast and lunc, and eat dinner everyother day. You can get a lot more stuff then!!:lol:

#26 ·
Handm, now that is a TOUGH decision, however here is what I would do based on the fact that the oow bar is also on my list of must haves.
If you don't have a beltfed you really need one, I have 2 1919's and love them, they are easy to build and fun to shoot, the vickers is more of a rarity and will really be a head turner when done, and will be worth a lot more than a 1919. So,
1. buy a grade "B" 1919 kit from oow for $299.00
2. Get a Vickers kit.
3. the OOW bAR's won't be ready for several months, so put your name on the list, make a sign that says "addicted to guns, need $$$"
and stand at the exit to the closest freeway for an hour a day after work. by the time the BAR is ready you will have the $$$ for all 3 guns!!:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.