Gunco Forums banner

want a 34 or 42 bad-what route to take?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  rocco1911 
#1 ·
Hi.
I know these questions have been asked before, and possibly, I might not even be on the right section of the site for this, but since this is where the belt-fed people hang out, I thought I'd just ask here and be done with it in order to make it simple.
A few things about my situation: I have built ak's, semi-subguns, and have a "medium" I suppose, knowledge of building. However, when it comes to belt-feds, I'm as lost as those guys in "Flight of the Phoenix".
My questions are these;
Would it be easier for me to build a semi-mg-34 or 42 or just buy one?
Are the Marstar mg-34's any good?
Are there people who could build me one?
Which is the best route to take?
Thank's. And if I'm in the wrong section, please forgive me.
I will have about $5000 in a few weeks (possibly 3-4 weeks) to play with in this experiment, so it needs to stay within that budget. I just want to get info beforehand, so that it will be easier when I start getting everything together.
Thank's again.
p.s.-the marstars seem reasonable-but would i do better elsewhere?
Or would I do better building, or having someone do it for me?

See less See more
#2 ·
The mg 42 is an awesome build, however receivers are very expensive and hard to get now. you can get an mg34 kit and receiver semi auto kit from TNW for about 1,600. 00 mg34 cut receivers are also very hard to get. both builds are basically TIG welding projects.
You can get a bely fed RPK from vector for 2K, I have one and they are awesome
You can get a TNW semi mg34 for about $3800 TNW also is working on a semi auto mg42.
Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Thank's!!!
I think I may go with TNW.
I did not know about them until you mentioned them.
The mg-34 is the one I really wanted to begin with. I just seem to like them better than the 42, even though I've never fired either one.
They just have that "early war" history to them. And seeing them being used in original film on the History Channel all the time kind-of makes me have a soft spot for them.
I've already got cases upon cases of 8mm ammo here for my Mausers, so that's covered.
I'll just need to get some belts. And tripod, or AA tripod.
OK-my mind is made up-I'll be getting the one listed, and sent to my dealer, and just go from there on gathering accessories.
Thank's again!--seems "with your help" I saved $200 already. The marstar version was $4000.
I love this website-really.
I could have tried my hand at building, but this actually, in the end, will save a lot of headache.

#4 ·
slow down. your looking for a belt fed.

here's your options

rpd in 7.62x39 vector arms
browning 1919 in 8mm, 30-06, 308 allied armament
fn 30 308 allied armanent
vickers machine gun in 303, 7.62x54 our very own pirate/ your own building skills
the mg-34 from marstar is availble right now. the tnw has about i think a 6 month wait.

the rpd the ammo is going to always be around the belts are easier to load.
the browning 1919 8mm is your best option as in ammo cost but the barres in 8mm are hard to find along w/ the 30-06 boster required.
the fn30 is by far the most collectable piece here and is really really rare but only shoots .308 but is great
the vickers which is being proposed by pirate on this site has not been built yet but will be available for the milling and conversion parts in the late winter/ spring time. but will be really cool to own.

remember that a belt fed is special and requires some accessories to make it run.

the rpd is probibly the lowest in the accessories and maintinance costs.

hey pirate i found a mag 58 tripod for the fn 30 you are building. there is one on guns america. they are asking 1200.

#5 ·
I have a TNW mg34, it is a really nice setup, you are right about the history behind it and it is a classic example of old world gunbuilding.
I don't think you can import a gun from marstar, they are in canada.
As for the 1919's they are fun, cheap and rugged, you can get an 8mm conversion for less than $200.00 and shooting it is cheap. persomally after reading all the delivery problems with allied I wouldn't buy from them
Halo manufacturing wil also be producing a limited amount of fn 30's also, They are the best source as they have replacement parts.

#6 ·
I think I'm going to accept the waiting period on it and be happy. If it is 6-months like you say, then it will be a fun 6-months.
During the meantime, I can round up needed accessories. Besides, I have some ak-74's to build, and that will give me something to do during the wait.

The 1919's are simply not my style, so-to-speak. Would'nt want to lug one around either.
If marstar will not ship to the states, then they are out anyway.
Well, the wait will be fun-anticipation wise.
The rpd's are nice, but don't come with the historical significance of the mg-34.
And trust me, I've got enough 8mm ammo to last 3 lifetimes, and will be ordering more cases from SportsmansGuide this week, and with semi-auto it should last. I don't shoot as much as others anyway. I'm sort-of conservative with ammo. That way if SHTF then my insurance is in tiny brown boxes, and not at the insurance company.
Gotta cut this short-DQ put too many onions on my cheeseburger.uggh

p.s.-I've been through the whole selection thing. At first I wanted a Maxim, but lit looks like they are a little hard to come by now-besides, we don't have any trenchs dug on my land-yet.hehe

#9 ·
ok i stayed away form this for a while.... now i'll contribute..

this is a personal opinion!! so be warned!!

mg 42 or 34.... sweet!!! if your a 8mm fan and have lots go for it.

1919a4: ive got one and love it.. allied makes a very pretty gun, but as pirate said they are great on promises and taking your money and short on delivery and service.

ORF: i got a great one. no problems and had it in 3 days. runs perfect in 308... if you wanna do 8mm stay with the 34 or 42mg;s lots of guys are converting but the 8mm isnt gonna hold out at the prices its been, its already on the way up. and as far as conversions go.... if i wanted to shoot 8mm i'd have bought the 34 also!! nothing like the orig!!

oh and 1919's aint cheap to shoot either if you got a crank or aw-sim. trust me on this one.

Halo's RSP is flawless. seen a couple very impressive.

i just havent got inot the RPD or RPK stuff yet. lol

i also want the 34mg...

right now im tied up with the dp-28, now theres one that will shoot and plenty of ammo for less than a dime each.

#10 ·
OK, here goes,
In a sudden change of heart, I had a lightbulb go off, and decide to not purchase a ready-built.
I'm now building my mg-42.
Now, I don't know why, but I just got turned in this direction.
Now, I've read a lot on it the past few days, and it's all coming together for me.
But, I must say this: If it was not for Wiselite Arms, I'm not sure I would have tackled this one.
They have the barrel bushings, and say they are coming out with the rear sections. I think they are waiting on approval.
Coldsteel sounds good to, but I've not heard anything from them on progress-just what their website says.
The m53 yugo sets, are good to go, with the parts Wiselite is making.
I'm not working for them or anything, it's just that I'm so happy they have done this work for us, that I can't help mentioning them a great deal. Because, there is simply no way I could turn out a barrel bushing with the tools I have. I could probably tackle a receiver better than that @#$% bushing.lol
So, long story short, I'm making my own 42' now.
Slow, yes, but it should be rewarding later on.
Pirate, I'm contemplating the FAL trigger group. But I might wait on Wiselite's trigger group though, well see.
Your tutorial on the other 42' site is great--it's not too hard for me to make the sheet parts, spacers, etc.

#11 ·
So just how much of the rear section is Wiselite making for the MG42? Camming section included I would think as that's gone from the Yugo kits.

Last I read CSS has been working the 80% MG42 thing for a year now.

If I had 5K to blow on a beltfed it would be a ready to fire MG34. Buy a 1919 with the leftovers or put it towards a tripod.

#12 ·
From what I hear, the wiselite sections will include the camming section, and as such will be 3" longer than the brp sections.
Yes, I could have blown all of that on a ready-built, but I really needed a challenge. And more kits!! Spares, barrels, more ammo, laffette, gosh, it adds up. Big time. I want to make sure it'll still be shooting 20-30 yrs from now. If I'm still here, by the end of that time, I'll not be able to shoot much anyway-I'll be dedicated to my rocking chair by then.lol
p.s.-there was a thought of them stamping just the cam section out, but I've heard nothing more on that yet. But, the cam section will be incorporated in the complete rear.
They should have the gripsticks and modified bolts, pins too. "from what I've read"

#14 ·
weaponeer has a group buy going right now on the gripsticks USA made compliant W/Ar15 fire control Parts $90.00 without AR15 parts do it yourself or $190.00 Complete. there is also a guy on 1919a4 named MSG thats waiting on ATF O.K. on his complete receivers. so within the next 2-3 months there should be about 3-4 receivers out there. hope this helps - Rocco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.