Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first 1919 kit at Show

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Bought my first 1919 kit at Show

Due to the bad influence of members in this forum I bought my first 1919 kit from OOW at the Chantilly Gun Show this weekend. I have tracked down several sources for parts and tools and read most every post in this forum as well as on 1919a4 dealing with building. Looking forward to getting started on this. One question, What is the preferred method for removing the old rivets from the lower plate where the old RSP was cut? I've found nothing on this and since I got a nice looking kit I don't want to screw it up from the git go. Any other tips and observations are also welcomed.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Pretty much the same as removing rivets on the AKs.
    Grind the head flush with a angle grinder (use care, don't screw up the bottom plate, it will be very obvious when finished) drill through them with a small drill to relieve some pressure and press them out.
    The rivets are 3/16ths (.187) so I wouldn't go much over a 1/8th (.125) drillbit

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I have a build tutorial on my site. For the best sideplate go to Halo manufacturing.

www.projectguns.com

your gonna love it when you are done.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Pirate56,

I have read every page on your site. Good Stuff! Thanks. I'm going to need one of your $20.00 bucking bars. Please PM me your address and I'll get a money order on the way. Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    I have a build tutorial on my site. For the best sideplate go to Halo manufacturing.

www.projectguns.com

your gonna love it when you are done.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

So was a portion of the old RSP still attached? I thought they all came missing the RSP compleetly.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yes, looks like they used a chop saw and cut the right side plate off about 1/4 inch above the bracket that joins the bottom plate and the right side plate. Removed rivets at the top of the rear plate and front trunion.

Quote Originally Posted by RetVet
    So was a portion of the old RSP still attached? I thought they all came missing the RSP compleetly.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

When you get that small remnant of the RSP off....save it. I did.
    I ground down the sides a little and cleaned up the sharp edges, parked it and now it a great tool for removing the barrel booster.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Good Tip. I'm the original pack rat so I save almost everything like that. I used another piece of scrap and a large adjustable wrench to remove the booster but I'll give it a try when I get the thing off. Intend to go slow and try to avoid damage to the good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jjglith
    When you get that small remnant of the RSP off....save it. I did.
    I ground down the sides a little and cleaned up the sharp edges, parked it and now it a great tool for removing the barrel booster.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Take your time...the rivets come off pretty easy...
    Like Pirate said if you want a really nice side plate contact Michael at
    http://halomfg.com/
    I bought 1 and it is registered and has a custom serial #, his machining work and engraving is incredible.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for your advise. I respect you guys opinions. I will call Michael at Halo today. Thinking of getting the Rock Island A6 Semi Auto engraving but probably will take what ever might be ready first. You know how that goes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.