Gunco Forums banner

Vltor PKM receiver fitcheck

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Winn R 
#1 ·
Picked up my new Vltor PKM semi receiver from my local FFL today. Bought it from PK Firearms (BTW PK Firearms :thumbup1: :thumbup1: ) on Wednesday and in my grubby hands on Friday.

The Vltor PKM semi receiver is awesome. Quality is superb. Bolted my Hungarian unissued PKM parts kit on to the receiver (sans bolt and bolt carrier for obvious reasons that the F/A parts will not fit). The fit is spot on. All predrilled holes line up perfectly.

Here's some photos.

Now on to semi conversion and compliance parts. It might be a while for these to become available.

BTW - please e-mail me if you have seen my wallet. It was last seen bursting into flames.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Not really sure if compliance parts are needed or not. Not too much info out there yet on semi-PKM builds. Let's hope they are not.

Yes, receivers are 100%. Might want to see the price tag on these before you order a couple of them;
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=432711

Most of the hole sizes are #10 so common sized rivets should work. Trunnion holes are around .22 so can turn down a few 1/4" rivets to fit.

Why yes, I do happen to have a photo of PKM on the tripod. That's kinda like asking someone if they happen to have any photos of their grandkids :rofl:

Attachments

#8 ·
That's a very good idea. Most all the rivet setting looks to be pretty straight forward that I think can be done using your AK tools except for some of the trunnion rivets, particularily the rear most trunnion rivets. 30mm bar and 1919 press sounds like the best approach. Ones on the bottom, I'd planned on just using a bar and hammer to set. It all looks like something the home smith can handle especially using some of your setting tools

#9 ·
About compliance for crew served weapons, how's that work? I can understand that for a 1917,1919 especially since a lot of the parts originated here. But I am assuming that a PKM is a GPMG and is man portable, though not totally practical for offhand shooting. I'll never be able to own one, but I'm curious just the same.

#10 ·
Blazerbender said:
About compliance for crew served weapons, how's that work?
It doesn't work. The 922 rules are to ban the assembly of Assault Rifles, and they are listed. Also "any other rifle" must be in 922 compliance.

This is not a rifle, it is a gun. It does not fit the definition of "rifle" as purposed by the regulation. It was not designed to be fired from the shoulder like a rifle. It is indeed a crew-served gun, just like a 1919 or MG42, etc. There is no official parts count, therefore, that must be evaluated on a PKM.

Go ahead - try to fire it from the shoulder - its heavy enough that you'll have a heart attack just trying to keep it on target! :rofl:

All this is subject to change if someone at the ATF gets a bug up their arse and calls this a rifle. Now, if the ATF does, then this is just a big AK, really. There are enough places to make replace compliance parts that the count could easily get down to 10 or less imported. But let's not try to follow codes that aren't on the books!

#11 ·
Illya Kuryakin said:
Picked up my new Vltor PKM semi receiver from my local FFL today. Bought it from PK Firearms (BTW PK Firearms :thumbup1: :thumbup1: ) on Wednesday and in my grubby hands on Friday.

The Vltor PKM semi receiver is awesome. Quality is superb. Bolted my Hungarian unissued PKM parts kit on to the receiver (sans bolt and bolt carrier for obvious reasons that the F/A parts will not fit). The fit is spot on. All predrilled holes line up perfectly.

Here's some photos.

Now on to semi conversion and compliance parts. It might be a while for these to become available.

BTW - please e-mail me if you have seen my wallet. It was last seen bursting into flames.
Ilya I know the feeling - I'm still recuperating my wallet and just can't seem to get ahead - and I have so many new things to buy this year! :(

That looks really, really nice! I'm going to try the BIY route, at least for now. I'd like to see some up-close photos of the inside, especially with a good view of the rails!

VERY COOL, MY MAN!!! :thumbup1:

#19 ·
Steelcore1964 said:
Jerry, I'm only about 45 min. from you. You are welcome to come over and look at mine when I get it. I expect to have it in my hot little hands in about 3 weeks.
I'll probably take you up on that! Where do you shoot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.