Any update?

Scott

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Any updates and PIX would be awesome !
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I've been into handloading for precision shooting for a while and this is just sitting in the back of the closet waiting for semi parts to become available.

Any news on semi fire control parts ??? Maybe Pirate will come up with something in the future.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Did we ever decide how many US parts are needed? I'm going to build mine vs. buy because quite frankly I have the tools to do so.

I will start counting with 6 parts since this is essentially an AK action... piston, receiver, FCG, muzzle attachment. There's 6 right there. Obviously, specific design requirements will change the count, such as if a G3 or FAL style action is used. Is there anything that specifies the PK has an "operating rod" in the eyes of the ATF?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I haven't ever gotten back to the project since assembling the receiver a couple of years ago so not sure on the parts count.

Do you have a semi design in mind that has been approved by the BATFE or are you going off on your own?

Did see that Marcolmar is offering their builders kit (w/o receiver) for the low, low price of $925

MarColMar Firearms LLC est. 2004

Thanks guys..........could you possibly have tried to gouge the home builder for more?

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    Do you have a semi design in mind that has been approved by the BATFE or are you going off on your own?
    I'm going to build my own design based on the GUIDELINES the ATF has published... aka "not readily convertible" and the other stuff. Like with the MG42 builds everyone is doing that is loosely based on the BRPGuns design.

"APPROVED" is IMO something that can be done but as long as you adhere to the letter of the law I don't see the concern. If you build it correctly, EVEN IF someone takes it in to be examined, it should only function in semi. If you (or "them") can make it malfunction and fire full-auto then you haven't built it correctly... and it is probably unsafe!

The only things I believe need to be done are to grind off the bottom of the carrer (the part that is engaged by the sear) and the weld a "semi block" onto the bottom of the receiver to ensure no FA carrier can be installed. That's pretty much it for the MG42 build.

The MG42 semi-only builds also include modifying the trigger assembly so that a FA assembly can't be put in its place... not a concern here because the trigger assembly is riveted into place! If it were removeable (ala MG42) then I would think it would be different.

The only other things I can think of are to use a semi-only FCG (obvious) and use some striker fired conversion assembly. That will (should) permanently modify the bolt and/or use a completely new firing pin. I can't imagine how the original PKM firing pin could even work for a semi-only build so that is a requisite item IMO.

I'm still leaning toward a hammer that sits off to the side and contacts a "breech block" over the firing pin... ala "striker block" as used on that older Swiss design (forget the name of that rifle). Remember my talk a while back about imitating that design? It will need to incorporate an extension on the rear of the bolt carrer to prevent slam-fires in the event the disconnector fails to prevent out-of-battery ignition. At its heart it will be an AK/AR style FCG, although with a differently-shaped hammer. There's room!

What else is there for "not readily convertible" on a PK?

The FA sear sits inside that trigger assembly and is held in place by a spring and presses against the trigger. The original FA trigger is pinned into that assembly. So removing the FA trigger would be necessary. Perhaps welding the hole so the FA trigger can no longer be installed?

Here's a question - how does a BREN conversion work? They seem to be somewhat similar in design. Perhaps there's some wisdom to be gained by examining a BREN semi-only design.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Forward progress
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

More PKM goodness
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.