Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ending the hijack of Ilya's thread - PKM accessories

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Ending the hijack of Ilya's thread - PKM accessories

OK - STATUS REPORT.

So I got those cans/belts I ordered from MG34.com... MAN are they nasty! Someone repainted a few of them with an ugly playground-swingset-green using a thick, thick brush. There are bristles stuck in the bottm seam of the cans, and the pain has frozen the dust cover's feed door and spring. NO JOKE! I can strip them down but it was kind of amusing to see them that way.

In comparison to my Hungarian cans, these have no "bullet points this way" embossing, the canvas straps are stretched out a significant amount, and the overall condition is "beat all to hell but still serviceable".

They still have the 250- and 100- round can/belt combo listed on their site. So for now at least, they are the only ones I know of that have them in stock.

I called ORF today and they have nothing for PKMs at all.

I found the "wide" strap that, according to pics in the AA-OK.com gallery, is in fact an E. German PK strap. I ordered one, so we'll see how it looks. It appears the E. Germans didn't put that pad on their straps.

Oh and at one time, http://www.winslowarmory.com/ had PKM buttstocks. They looked brand-new from the pics. I don't see them right now, but perhaps they'll get more in soon.

Stay tuned, more to come!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

FWIW - I took a super long shot and called MGS just to see if they could possibly supply the PKM rifle sling missing from the kit I bought from them a year and a half ago. I know, I know but figured is was worth a call anyway. They said they had nothing PKM left.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Last october at knob creek there were tons of the large and small cans available. there was a vendor in the spot with MGS that had pallets of them. Did you try the ammunition store?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, I tried Ammunitionstore a few days back, and they were out then. They have them listed in 2 spots on their site, 1 spot says backordered, the other spot doesn't. She said they were expecting more but had no ETA. We'll see! FWIW, they were also out of the spare barrels. The spares they had advertised were PK barrels (fluted), not the newer PKM (unfluted) barrels.

I was advised to try OOW and Tennessee Guns, both of whom list PK stuff in one shape or another. OOW only shows tripods on their website and TG replied to my email that their PKM stuff is "coming soon" and to check back after their retail shopping website is online - ?!?!?!? - so no idea if they even have stuff.

HEY - do you guys remember when K-Var had the "heavy" tripods available for sale? That would be the cat's meow if we could find more!

According to world.guns.ru, the tripod we all have is the "lightweight tripod" and the "heavy" tripod is a so-called "Universal Tripod":

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg07-e.htm

The drawings on the club.ru site show the "universal" tripod has a longer AA extension - note how it can be employed for squatting-height shots:

http://club.guns.ru/eng/pkm.html

Now, the Kalashnikov site describes them by their designers. The "light" tripod is apparently the Stepanov design:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka160.html

... and the "heavy" tripod is apparently the Samozhenkov design:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka156.html

I like the front "toe" of the Samozhenkov design better, as well as the AA bar. I haven't figured out how to get the light tripod to extend any higher. It is "high enough" for say a fixed mount location, but in a "patrol" setting where one would just set it up on the ground would really stink.

Here's that sling I'm looking for:

http://www.zid.ru/en/products/military/pkm.html

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Found another item, more of a "cool" item than useful, but it is a PKM cloth ammo carrier (patterned after the aftermarket SAW ammo carriers) to replace the standard 100-round ammo box. It was one of the few items found on Gunbroker searching for "PKM":

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=71745160

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Anyone have the dimensions (width, thickness and length) of the PKM rifle sling that came (or was supposed to in my case) with the Hungarian PKM parts kits ?

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Here are the slings that came with my kit, there was also a brown harness and a small web strap with snap hooks on either end. the sling is 3.5 cm x 130 cm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

These are what I got with my MGS kit. I think I got 2 of the tripod slings and none of the rifle slings. I believe the sling that looks like a spider (sorta like one anyway) is a chest strap but how it goes on is a mystery. Don't know what the small strap with hooks on each end is for.

BTW Pirate - what happens on the bottom sling in your photo where it goes off to into the darkness (ie what do the ends of the bottom sling look like)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

The ends are leather belts that buckle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks Pirate ! Are your slings Hungarian, Romanian or other country of origin? The photos of Hungarian PKM slings I've seen are just web loop on one end and clip on the other.

Did I do that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.