Gunco Forums banner

My refinished 1928 Colt Tripod

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  pirate56 
#1 ·
Here's the before and after....
Before a rusty 1928 Colt tripod from OOW.

After a lot of cans of PB Blaster, Kroil oil, wire wheel work on my bench grinder, sandblasting, Brownell's cold blue, VHT camo paint and sweat.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well sir:............That there is something to be proud of!!! Does yours have a US Colt tag or the Argentina Colt tag? I have not started mine yet, but it is not anywhere that rusty.

Yours really does look SWEET!

#6 ·
Gunco said:
Wow OOW sold you the tripod in that condition? Looks like it has been sitting outside for years!

Great job bringing it back to life!

They sold them as rusty & missing parts. I think they were around $300.00 instead of $900.00 - $1200.00 for a restored one. So they are worth a little elbow grease. I really like the " Colt Machine Gun Tripod " Brass tag . Much more cool than a M2 tripod

BTW: this is one of the nicest restorations I've seen yet. Gives me something to shoot for.

I take that back..........This IS the nicest!:thumbup1:

#7 ·
Bradrock said:
Well sir:............That there is something to be proud of!!! Does yours have a US Colt tag or the Argentina Colt tag? I have not started mine yet, but it is not anywhere that rusty.

Yours really does look SWEET!
Thanks...It was a lot of work but well worth it....
I was backordered from the 1st batch from OOW and it took a couple of months to get it but it was best $350.00 I spent in a long time.

It has the US COLT tag.

Artifact Font Wood Money Motor vehicle

#9 ·
Gunco said:
Wow OOW sold you the tripod in that condition? Looks like it has been sitting outside for years!

Great job bringing it back to life!
Thanks Bob....most if not all of the tripods were in that or worse condition but for $350. I was willing to take a chance....the restoration was a challenge but worth it.
The machine work and fitting of the different parts on it was amazing...the craftmanship will never be duplicated again.

Looks most excellent JJ, just wipe the finger print off the back leg!

Now after all that work do you really want to take it to the range?
That ain't a fingerprint...... its residue from my blood and sweat. :tongue:
I'll take it out to the range....... with socks on the feet and covered with bubblewrap:lol:

Now if I can only convince my wife to set it up on display in the living room....
yeah, right..:wink:

#11 ·
RLB said:
Beautiful job on the refinishing. Its hard to believe they sold it to you in such bad condition.
All of them were rusty wrecks and OOW said so in their description....So were missing parts, broken parts....OOW did try to find replacements for the ones missing stuff....when they went up for sale the MG guy's were like crow's at a road kill they sold out fast.
I was lucky to get one.

#12 ·
gmanindahood said:
Absolutely incredible work jj. It looks excellent and is definitely something to be proud of. Now I have an old Chevy that looks alot like your before pic, any chance of me being able to drop it off at your house ???
Thanks....
Yeah, no problem leave the Chevy in my driveway and put a blank check in the glove box....:rofl:

#13 ·
that is beautiful. I balked when they first became available, they sold out and now I am kicking myself.....Great Work !!!!!!

#15 ·
These things were a bargain, they are a great stable shooting platform for a belt fed. the gun sits high enough so you can sit on an ammo can behind it and shoot. An M2 tripod with pintle and T&E will set you back about $700.00 one of these restored from oow is over $1,000.

The one I got wasn't as bad as JJ's but it was a lot of work to re do, there are a lot of parts on one of these.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.