Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing 1919 booster

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Removing 1919 booster

Guys, I'm trying to remove the booster from my 1919a4 kit. I don't own a special wrench to remove the booster, so what's the best/easiest method to remove the booster without nicking and scratching it all up? There's what appears to be a snap ring with a slit in it. Next to the snap ring is a small slot where one might fit a thin screw driver. I tried getting underneath the snap wring, but to no avail. Tried using a thin screw driver on the end of the booster and twist it, but to no avail.

Is it right or left hand threads? I'm assuming right since they are American made guns.

You help is greatly appreciated.
    member 143

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Josh -- there's a clip then it just screws off, standard fashion as I remember.

I just went to 1919 and they recommend a strap wrench. They also say some of the clips are staked.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Booster Removel Scoket

Here is what you are looking for...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83010710

JohnnyJT
    South Philly

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

That ring has nothing to do with taking the booster off. Use a strap wrench or find a piece of steel the width of the slot in the boster and use it in combination with a wrench to act as one mean mofo screw driver.

Did you soak the booster area with penetrating oil first? Tap it a few times with a plastic or rubber mallet as well. It's just carbon fouling in the threads that's making it tough to spin off.

Here's another way. Never tried it, but it sounds good. Use a pipe wrench, but sandwich a piece of leather or something between the gripping teeth and the booster to prevent damage.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjt
    Here is what you are looking for...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=83010710

JohnnyJT
    South Philly

Thats what I need but dont have. I need to try and get it off until I can get one of those.

So you don't have to remove the ring before unscrewing the booster? If not, I'll try and find a piece of steel the width of the slot and unscrew it. Thanks guys!
    member 143

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Since you are dealing with a kit instead of an assembled rifle there is a WECSOG way of doing it. Soak well with penetrating oil of course. Clamp the booster in a vise with soft or padded jaws (leather, lead, brass, etc) and use a round steel bar passed through the cooling holes in the bbl jacket to unscrew the jacket from the booster. Be gentle, you don't want to deform the jacket.
    Last edited by kernelkrink; 10-20-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: to correct my bad spelln

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks guys. I put the end of the jacket into a vice, and then used the shaft of a smaller sized wrench in the notch of the end of the booster. Also put some penetrating oil on the inside of the jacket where the threads are. With a little bit of pressure it broke loose. Yes, there was a lot of fouling on the threads. Got it cleaned up now, hopefully it won't stick so bad next time.

Thanks Guys!
    member 143

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink
    Since you are dealing with a kit instead of an assembled rifle there is a WECSOG way of doing it. Soak well with pentrating oil of course. Clamp the booster in a vise with soft or padded jaws (leather, lead, brass, etc) and use a round steel bar passed through the cooling holes in the bbl jacket to unscrew the jacket from the booster. Be gentle, you don't want to deform the jacket.

Ah ha! This sounds even easier if you don't have something thick/thin enough to fit in the slot of the booster. I'd have to say, using the vise definitely helped a lot.
    member 143

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I have an M-6 on the end of my 1919 and I never need a wrench to get it off. I tighten it up good and tight by hand and it comes off by hand too. I have never had it come loose when fireing either. my guess is this was a one time problem. stuck from fouling and time. I bet once you clean it up and get it back togeather it will not stick again.
    just my 2 cent good luck
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'll try and find a piece of steel the width of the slot and unscrew it.
    If you have the stub of the right side plate, it's an almost perfect fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.