Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are the 1919 A4 machinegun kits really legal to build on?

Feedback Score

Default Are the 1919 A4 machinegun kits really legal to build on?

I want to buy or build a 1919A4 or maybe build it into an A6. I need to make sure that the kit is legal to build. I visited several 1919 sites and the informarion is mixed and not real clear. The people that sell kits say they are ok, but according to BATFE the kits were to be demilled a certain way and the kits I have see offered are not cut the way the BATFE shows they were to be cut after 2001.

What's the sitrep?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yes they are legal to build into a semi auto.
    I'm not sure what you mean about "kits I have see offered are not cut the way the BATFE shows they were to be cut after 2001" , as far as I know the 1919 only needs the right receiver plate removed for demill?
    The main thing I've been hearing lately that's a problem is the 80% side plates, you can get a 100% plate but this will have to go through an FFL.

Hope this helps and I know others will chime in to cover what I missed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

tutorials and advice available at www.1919a4.com

Yes, it's legal. As long as the original right side plate is removed you are fine - this demilled part is not included with any of the kits, so there's no question of how it was cut. The right sideplate is the part considered the "firearm". Semi auto sideplates have raised "denial islands" so that the original full auto parts cannot be inserted. You'll need to have the internals machined to fit and converted. The RSP only needs to be riveted in place, they are no longer required to be welded.
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 11-12-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: addition

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Moved to belt fed forum.

The only legal questions are regarding 80% RSPs. Some of the ones sold recently have come under scrutiny for being too complete.
    If you are planning to build off of a 80%er, I would hold off until there is a final ruling by the ATF. If you are going to start with a 100% RSP there is no need to worry.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

There is a tutorial on my site also
    http://www.projectguns.com/1919.html

Feedback Score

Maybe ya should check ammo prices before you get too far ahead. Unless you just want it because its neat.... I switch calibers from .308 to 8mm when .308 prices went up. Now 8mm can't be found..... but at least I stockpiled a bunch when it was cheap. If you shoot it much, its gonna cost you an arm and a leg to feed it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom
    tutorials and advice available at www.1919a4.com

Yes, it's legal. As long as the original right side plate is removed you are fine - this demilled part is not included with any of the kits, so there's no question of how it was cut. The right sideplate is the part considered the "firearm". Semi auto sideplates have raised "denial islands" so that the original full auto parts cannot be inserted. You'll need to have the internals machined to fit and converted. The RSP only needs to be riveted in place, they are no longer required to be welded.
    On the welding part you don't need to weld if you do a rivet build but if you do a screw build then you will have to weld the side plate in the areas set forth by ATF.
    Normal is Boring!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I belive this is what the Gentleman is refering to when he speaks of "legal" parts?.....

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_...appendix_b.pdf

In my opiniom this is why we did not see a flood of my beloved FAL kits and "other types" like the one previously mentioned after the "Assault Weapon Ban" reached it's sunset in 2004.

The IMBEL FAL parts sets I sold a few years ago were all from an old and well documented pre-2000 importation that preceeded the 2001 BATFE ruling on 1919s, FALs, HK G3s, and Stens shown in the link above.

I'm a bookkeeper's son,
    I don't wanna shoot no one,
    but I crossed my old man back in Oregon,
    don't take me alive.

---Steely Dan---

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Some questions by newbies make you wonder what they're really looking for.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Probably a clarification or maybe just the truth.

In my opinion it is refreshing to see newer members posting provocative questions that are not tainted or stained with the old ignorances that are commonly displayed when longtime members have been bathed in misguided misconceptions followed by a "chaser" of grape Kool-Aid.

The BATFE has gone after improperly executed "issues" before and sometimes long after the initial rulings are made public.

Read the rules.

I'm a bookkeeper's son,
    I don't wanna shoot no one,
    but I crossed my old man back in Oregon,
    don't take me alive.

---Steely Dan---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.