Gunco Forums banner

Madsen parts kits?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 ·
IMA has the dummy gun, but no parts kits. I saw a dummy on display today at the London Bridge display at the GS. I'm interested! :thumbup1:

I wonder if those dummy kits have a usable barrel?!? HRM...

#3 ·
Actually that's not the right one. After looking a bit further, that's the "other" Madsen-built MG - the "Staed" ?

Apparently Mr. Madsen created quite a few items, including a tube-style SMG.

The one I'm interested in is the one listed on IMA-USA's website that looks similar to a Bren with the top-feed magazine. I don't know the designation, but it is 8mm. Honestly, since there is no pistol grip, I wonder if this would be a California-legal build if the magazine were plugged. Now THAT would be something! :)

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/14_212_120

I guess I need to find out if those barrels are cut, plugged, or otherwise rendered inoperable. Guessing they are... would need to make a new barrel.

#4 ·
Jerry -- how do those things get enough bolt throw to operate? Does the bolt project out the back of the receiver during operation? My Lord -- that must be a comforting feeling!! :(

#5 ·
My mistake! The Madsens I considered awhile back looked like your picture, but were 30-06 I'm pretty sure.
There were several " Weaponeer" members who bought them at the time.
That SILC kit I posted ,might be the same type kit Sarco has advertised for a few years.

#6 ·
Winn, I think that's just a dummy receiver. I'm positive the one I saw had a bigger receiver to it than that pic. At least, it looked "correct" to me. Pretty sure the one I saw was about 2x longer.

No idea if that dummy in the pic is accurate or not. I suppose I could surf some of the Danish weaponry websites to get a pic of the real thing.

Bradrock, I didn't even realize those were ever offered for sale before. I wonder where they all went now? :(

#7 ·
Winn R said:
Jerry -- how do those things get enough bolt throw to operate? Does the bolt project out the back of the receiver during operation? My Lord -- that must be a comforting feeling!! :(
They do not have a bolt. These were designed on the Martini action. Instead of a reciprocating bolt, they have a breech block & "Rube Goldberg" action to strip rounds, chamber & eject. 400rpm tops & 120 rpm in reality. ( according to my book)
The IMA picture is accurate.

Oh...........The barrel moves .5 inch also & NOT straight back & forth.

#8 ·
My first post is about one of my favorites......
Madsens are really fascinating actions......a combination of long recoil, a cammed martini style breechblock, and seperate cartridge rammers and ejector.
The barrel and extension recoils approx 2.5"-3". As the barrel/extension recoils, the breechblock is cammed upward by a switchplate in the receiver, and the ejector throws the fired case from the chamber, and downward out of the receiver. As the barrel/extension begins to move forward for the next shot, the breechbloch is cammed downward, and a feed arm rams a cartridge from the feed tray into the chamber. Immediately before firing/return to battery, the breechblock is cammed upwards about another 1" to close.......

It's not really open bolt, because the block swings up/down, but when the weapon is cocked, the barrel/extension is held to the rear of its travel, and is released to travel forward when the trigger is pulled. The hammer is tripped/released at the moment of breech closure.

The IMA guns are Portuguese contract 1940 Models in 8mm. IMA pretty much trashes the innards and receiver in making a dummy from them.

The guns sold by Dealer Warehouse years ago were 1946 Chilean contract guns in .30-06, and were cut by a "surgeon".....the kits now being sold without receiver sections are really only good for parts.....the magazine housing section of the receiver is complex, and contains an internal feedway.....not a dremel tool kinda job to fabricate this

They would be a great candidate for a semi.....no pistol grip/flash hider/bayonet lug.....I don't see any 922 worries.

They show up every now and then.....a really nice kit went on gunbroker a month or so ago for something like 5-600.

This is my Chilean gun.........

#9 ·
Welcome to Gunco, and THANKS for that info! That is a really nice build you have there.

I guess I didn't pay that much attention because I could have sworn it was more "beefy" at the receiver. But I did search about that "Rube Goldberg" cam block and that is very interesting. It literally spins in place!

The one I saw did not have the buttstock elevation monopod, but it did have the leather mag pouch. No sling or AA sight. The mags looked pretty beat up, in comparison the one I ordered from IMA (for my .45-70 project) was in pristine condition (emphasis on WAS :) )

You tell me they aren't available and that makes me want one even more :D

What should I be looking for? "Madsen LMG" ?

#10 ·
The one of mine pictured is still demilled......they did a "clean" job on these.....

Dealer warehouse still has AA sights, and Numrich has nice mags and butt monopods.

I dunno where to search for a good kit.....other than Weaponeer / Sturmgewehr / Gunbroker etc.......

A WTB post might just pull one out of someones closet for you....I know it would take something really different and "neat" for me to get rid of mine!

I've got a decent video somewhere of a Madsen in .30-06 being fired......with a 19" barrel, and the slow rate of fire, It puts on quite a show.....If I can find it I'll host/post a link.

#11 ·
Thanks guys!

Wow -- that's one different way of skinning the cat. A swing arm bolt!

It seems the application for that design would be in the small sub guns rather than a squad auto. Can you imagine how short an AK pistol would be with that bolt travel?

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.