Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Belt-fed 5.45 rifles

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Belt-fed 5.45 rifles

The Russians have a few models, but all are considered "Experimental" and were never put into production.

The best-looking one was listed on tihs thread but I can no longer find the pics:

RPK-74 plastic drum mag *PIC*

DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY OF THE PICS?

This is the featured 5.45 drum - not only is it an interesting design, it also demonstrates the belt-fed unit's ability to take standard magazines as a backup:

Also found this one:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka146.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default comparison

If any punk kid ever comes up to you asking for your `Gang Sign` Tap your chest twice then your forehead once. After doing that only upon a threat do you draw your glock and show him what you meant.

WOLVERINES!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

A 5,45 would be rellay nice. the only problem I see is feeding disintegrating links. they are harder to deal with than a non disintegrating link belt. Ideally it would be no bigger than a standard ak.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

is there a way we could just cut down a normal receivers front end on top where the rails are and inset the belt feeding mech?
    If any punk kid ever comes up to you asking for your `Gang Sign` Tap your chest twice then your forehead once. After doing that only upon a threat do you draw your glock and show him what you meant.

WOLVERINES!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

btt

WOLVERINES!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    A 5,45 would be rellay nice. the only problem I see is feeding disintegrating links. they are harder to deal with than a non disintegrating link belt. Ideally it would be no bigger than a standard ak.
    I completely agree with Pirate56...nondisintegrating...sooo much easier to reuse, handle etc. But there are mountains of M27 links available, cheap...that just begs someone to try it I've always used disintegrating links, but i still see more benefits with the non

Pookie: You ever try putting 5.45mm in RPD links? likely best chance?

Feedback Score

You ever try putting 5.45mm in RPD links?
    This is the same idea I have been rolling aroud in my head. The 5.45 is too loose in the L style RPD links but I think it may work with the U style RPD links. I am trying to find some U style links to try it out. If the RPD belts work with 5.45 then adapting an RPD feed tray and cover to an ak74 kit and custom receiver would be no harder than the MG47 builds.

Another idea would be to try feeding M27 links through the RPD TC/FT.

Feedback Score

Does anyone have a source for the links used in either the US or IMI 5.56 squad
    machineguns? Would they work with the 5.45?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have the 5.56 SAW belts and they are a little tight due to the taper of the 5.45 round. They could probably be used as-is but the would probably be better if they were opened up a little with an expanding rod of some sort.

Feedback Score

make up a fabric belt, as long as you can get the round-to-round centrlie consistent to match up with the feed pawl advance, it solves the porblem of an affordable belt. THe main trick then is that you have to pull then push to feed (as has already been adressed)

I acually enquired with Troy a Barrel Vchange about the feasiblity of doing this to a 1919A4 (the thought being to use a surplus 5.45 barrel from K-var when they were on sale for $60) but the toucgh parts is you need to mod so many parts for the smaller cartridge rim and on top of it all still need a consistent belt for feeding...not to mention you now have a weapon that feeds 5.45 but weighs 30+ pounds.

One other thought- Tory made nylon links for his 7.62x39 1919A4 conversion, what if you made nylon links specifically for the 5.45? Instead of using a ;'full cirlce' wrap of the metal on a link like a disntegrating lin, make them as a 'U' or even a full link witha slit- the nylon should have more than enugh felx to let the round pass through when pushed.

Just brainstorming here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.