Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: MG47 Jr.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Good job Steve , one day when I get caught up on other peoples projects I want to put my spin on this project, i have been discussing something very similar with another member here for almost two years, seeing it actualy work gets worked up

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Steve,
    How did you attach that cord or string to the bolt carrier so you could cycle it when you were testing it?

Feedback Score

I drilled a hole through that triangular section at the back of the BC (cut it off later) and put an S hook in it. I have about a mile of 'super string' I got on a bobbin about 30 yrs ago; it's rayon/nylon of some sort and I double it and make a grip like a lawnmower starter on the back, so it didn't rip my hands up. I did ALOT of cycling tests. Later, after joining the top section, you may have to press out the lengthwise 'bow' to get it cycling like it did before welding. Happened to me on both. Adequate 'slop' on the piston is important too, so the piston doesn't bind in the tube/ gas block. With a tube rcvr, and additional welding/warpage, it happens. That took some time (!!!) AFTER it was already cycling smoothly, to get it cycling smoothly again

BC's are HARD. Tapping the holes for the BC ext was a nightmare - went through two taps on each one. Had to start them with a tack hammer (ever done that? real good for the tap you know) Annealing would have helped. Used 1/2 x 1/8 flat steel for the BC ext and 10/24 screws to attach it. You can start with 8/32 and bump it up to 10/24 if the threads strip. A couple holes stripped on my first one.

Grind or mill a square corner at the base of the 'hump' on the BC for your BC ext, so it is 'seated squarely' and can't flex

When you get the placement right, you can weld it in place, but go light on the welds because you may have to replace it later - thin flat steel will allow you to bend the "L" slightly to adjust feed-stud position side-to-side for better feed, and lighter weight for cycling. Had to adjust both of mine several times (in the vise with a wrench) even after it was feeding/shooting, but once it's right you should be OK. BC ext is easy/quick to re-create once you have it about right (built 3 for the first, 2 for the 2nd - milling one PERMANENT is beyond me). I drilled the hole in the back for the recoil spring guide a bit oversize so it will 'find center' and BE CENTERED with the RS tube, and no 'side friction' on the spring - don't cut the rcvr to final length until you have it hand-cycling and feeding with the TC - Stock TD pins must clear the recoil spring. That's where all MG47s so far vary. I ALMOST got myself in a severe bind with the rcvr length on #2 THE DAY AFTER writing 'the logic post' duh... that's when I re-made the 'Ferrari-tailed BC ext' to recess BETWEEN the TD pins. Gained 5/8" more stroke

Notice the 10/24 in the rear, 8/32 in the front

Hope that helps

Alot of miracles were involved in my MG47s. Cutting off the bayonet lug was on the list of things-to-do when I encounted M240 HG's the same day for $5 each. Upside down bayo lug served no purpose behind the FS, right? Top HG got notched, and inserts INTO the upside-down bayo lug, rock solid w/ flush fit

I didn't have a plan for HG's, until these showed up. It helps to pray while you're building away. Length was perfect with the custom gas tube. No cutting.

I'd made diagonal cuts (??) on the front bottom of the rcvr which wound up engaging the metal inside the HG's. Looks weren't a major concern but burning my hands was. Sometimes I feel like Forrest Gump because You never know what you're gonna get

Steve
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 04-13-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for all the info, you answered some other questions to come too.

Right now I got the front end mounted in the receiver, a bolt carrier the moves freely by hand, the upper sides are welded on and the front mount for the TC & FT (RPD). I got a few rounds to feed from the links by cycling the bolt by hand and ready to mess with spring pressure.
    I'm still thinking about the recoil spring(s), been looking at the different firearms I have, I was thinking of a pair of UZI springs but I don't know if they will compress enough for this. I might end up doing like you did with a single spring that goes into the stock?

So I'm moving along slowly, I think as soon as I have it feeding and ejecting with spring pressure it will move along a little faster.

Thanks agian for your help.

Feedback Score

Coils -

I was also planning Uzi springs, but when I first shot it, it was MUCH tighter than now. I didn't think I could pull off a twin-spring system, with a fresh build. Now she's broken in and cycles with my pinky, so I plan to attempt it. My problem lately is no shop time

Uzi springs should work, but Mac springs are even smaller dia for straddling the BC ext, so we'll see what happens. I didn't want to narrow the back of the BC ext too much, for fear of breaking

G3 stocks are ideal for this because of where the hole is already located in the stock, for the recoil spring. Used furniture sets can be obtained from Robert for $8
    HK G3 Surplus Green Stock Set

If you're taking pics as you go, please post them!

Steve

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cntrailrider View Post
    Coils -

I was also planning Uzi springs, but when I first shot it, it was MUCH tighter than now. I didn't think I could pull off a twin-spring system, with a fresh build. Now she's broken in and cycles with my pinky, so I plan to attempt it. My problem lately is no shop time

Uzi springs should work, but Mac springs are even smaller dia for straddling the BC ext, so we'll see what happens. I didn't want to narrow the back of the BC ext too much, for fear of breaking

G3 stocks are ideal for this because of where the hole is already located in the stock, for the recoil spring. Used furniture sets can be obtained from Robert for $8
    HK G3 Surplus Green Stock Set

If you're taking pics as you go, please post them!

Steve
    Interested in some of this furniture, I don't suppoe you could tell me Roberts display name? Thanks a million.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I believe he is referring to Robert at Gun Parts - RTG International Surplus Gun Parts and Militaria .
    Robert has been good to deal with.

Feedback Score

Has anyone else completed an MG47 yet? I know alot of you've received TC's, parts, steel, etc. with intentions of building one but it's been awfully quiet concerning build progress. I've been very short on shop time or there'd be more progress here. That, plus reloading. If anyone has build pics to share, we'd sure like to see them - works-in-progress in any phase of construction

Steve

Feedback Score

Slow but sure Steve...

Yes, it's been kinda' quiet around eh?? Well...'wheels have been turning here...I finally got my TC, TC pin, FT, links & starter tabs from RTG...'now deciding whether or not to go with square tubing or bent sheetmetal, with the latter being a good possibility. While waiting around for the parts I've designed a captured twin recoil spring setup [.25" roundstock rails that will attach to the BC via threads], with an adjustable feed lever pin [on a bearing] aperature that will make setting up the feed timing easier. FCG will be unmodified semi AK, housed as a drop in unit similar to SHARPSHOOTER's...

I'm also exporing another BF system that hasn't been discussed here [top secret!].

'Will post pics when I have something more than parts to photo!

Andy =8^)-~

Feedback Score

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

belt fed 91

hk21e feed
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.