Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: MG47 Jr.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Been banned from there -- is there a thread elsewhere?
    LOL I was too.

Feedback Score

I got a bolt weight from an open bolt gun in x25 - it's 1 lb 10 oz. My current BC is 1 lb 2 oz so I know how far I need to go. Have a leftover BC ext which was too heavy for my first MG47; it almost exactly duplicates that weight. Best thing about it is, a rubber buffer can be used behind it on the bottom. If it's still too light, a heavy sleeve can be added around the useless piston shank to beef up the weight. Will keep you posted - I AM CLOSE to an MG47EC which is RELIABLE. But the next one will have a rotating bolt

If someone would post the weight of a PPS43 or PPS41 bolt, it would be usable information

Thanks -

Steve in El Paso still trying

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Coils -- Thanks
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Your welcome Winn.

If someone would post the weight of a PPS43 or PPS41 bolt, it would be usable information
    I got both but don't have an accurate scale at the house, if your not in a rush or no one else gets the info before Monday, I'll take them into work and weigh them.

Feedback Score

Brought my BC up to 1 lb 10.2 oz and just about to go give it a whirl. Ran out of space on places to weigh it down

I hope you guys have seen Doubletapme's latest build: http://www.gunco.net/forums/f252/xt74-belt-fed-40257/

It's amazing

Steve

Feedback Score

I ran into a real curve ball on EC. After welding the bolt to the carrier (several times) it eventually WARPED THE BOLT. Created several problems: I could feel resistance when hand-cycling (tried correcting it with various springs), wouldn't easily/reliably center on a chambered round every time, and the firing pin had limited travel. Fire, misfire, fire, misfire sometimes firing a 10 shot string. Depth of primer strikes varied alot. I struggled with extractor mods, deeper headspace, juggling springs etc. Finally replaced the bolt. She cycles effortlessly and's working pretty good. Major job; required sleeving the bolt cup, rebuilding the feed stud plate & sleeve which supports it, which meant re-locating the feed stud. It took all night. *Didn't have to build up the striping lug* because the tray sets very low. Hope to post a good video of it popping away, real soon

Droog & Winn -

Here's the bolt sleeve tig'd into the cup, before facing it in the lathe. Tedious welding - it's my nicest one so far

Steve

Feedback Score

Default Video of El Cheapo doing what it was intended to do

This was it's first time out with it's new bolt. Firing pin is too long - punctures some of the primers. You'll see the smoke. I will take some off the rear after I shoot up all the leftover 'light strike' rds (gallon jug full) from the warped bolt

Need to hone a little off the extractor (base) so it can grip casings tighter / stronger ejection. Once in awhile one doesn't completely clear

She filmed this through the windshield. Still the occasional failure to eject; that can be fixed

You can get an idea from this one that it is accurate. But velocity is not strong enough to set off Tannerite

That's all, folks! Got some time off work, so we're heading out for some RV'ing. Then it's on to another in x25, this time it will be gas-operated

Steve, EC, and Marty (my film crew) in El Paso
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 08-20-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the videos.

Sorry for the delay with the bolt wieghts but last week was nuts at work.
    The PPSH41 is 1.26 lbs
    The PPS43 is 1.21 lbs

Feedback Score

Coils -

Thanks - I understand about work. Our work is down 80% so I took some time off.

The weight added to the BC brought the gun to 11 lbs 11 oz, including the bipod. That's 12 oz heavier than "Jr", sort of an oxymoron since it fires a lighter cartridge. But most blowback SMG's are heavy for their size, due to their heavier bolt.

Feedback Score

The tweaking is almost complete. Extraction/ejection is strong as you'll see below. That can become a problem on a caliber conversion

I re-built a better link guide to position the belt/links more precisely

Not much space between it and the feed pawl, which must move freely

Since the "U" links are backwards, the part where the rim normally snaps in acts like a ramp - cartridges are pushed out of the link already nosing down. It feeds short 'squashed' cartridges (overseated bullets) just as well as 'good' ones. So send me your 'squashed' x25's!! I need to see whether it'll feed empty casings

Going through $2.08 worth of ammo

I needed to hold the belt up - because loaded links are a few 1/000" smaller dia than x39, and it wouldn't pull every one 100%

So I modifed the belt stop to spring up higher; so the weight/tension of the belt doesn't pull the links (backwards) over the stop, since they're smaller

The gap between it and the feed slot increased. I built up the right side of the stop to compensate; now links are centered over the slot again. It pulls a long heavy belt on it's own. The topcover is stock - no modifications

All the testfires have been shooting downhill, which affects the angle of the belt (cartridges feed nose high). Will try on level ground and see if there's a difference

Steve & El Cheapo, perforating the West Texas desert
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 08-25-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.