Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: MG47 Jr.

Feedback Score

Got a little more done tonight -

Made a left inside 'upper' rail (12") and installed it. Tray straddles the INSIDE rails, not the outside ones screwed to the trunnion, since they're too wide for the tray guides

Started fitting the FT

Temporary AK recoil spring to check rail-to-trunnion & rcvr alignment, and then chambering tests. Both of mine took some work before everything would cycle/lock/unlock easily, with the close-tolerance gas tube

It chambered on the first attempt - sure didn't expect that! Got that same light-headed feeling again

No ejector rail made yet - hopefully tomorrow

Camera LCD is broke or it would be more centered

If you're using a standard diameter piston, here is a handy way to de-burr the inside 'step' in your custom gas tube, with a power drill

Gas tube is MUCH tighter seal (mallet fit) than a factory AK tube; had to drill out the back, so the BC snout could slide forward. That creates a smaller diameter 'step' deep inside the tube, and a problem when reassembling. Like threading a needle dozens of times, during the build. You MG47 builders will soon find out what I mean. Smoothing out that step was the key to easy reassembly

Steve

PS Got the 'upper' rails temporarily mounted, and ejection port cut out today

Short vid chambering & ejecting
    http://media.putfile.com/Chambering--Ejecting
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 02-17-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Feedback Score

Sweet....looking good Steve!

Feedback Score

How did you go about locating the ejection port? Any specific dimensions to follow or is it lick fingr and hold to wind?

Thanks,
    Matt
    (I'm marking my steel as I type and my build begins.....)

Feedback Score

Finger / wind technique works real well

Position the front exactly where it is on a regular AK, in relation the to RSB & trunnion. Cartridge is 2.2" long. Don't go back any further than that, for starters, until you begin test feeding & ejecting. Then study how/what path the ejector pushes the casing

Had to enlarge the port higher than what's in the pic above - symetrical to the bottom, so they'd exit

Steve

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Stop me if this is a dumb question, but with the elimination of the standard charging handle, how is it that the weapon is loaded initially?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Ah, I see, thank you.

Feedback Score

Came up with an idea to eliminate the short-stroke lost pressure worries. Shorten the BC snout, then use a standard-length piston to keep the gas pressure sealed, for a longer sealed stroke. AZ Honkey suggested a good shortening technique (same as an HK51/51K) removing a section of BC snout, then re-join it, to keep the original piston threads. Need to cut the cocking handle slot, and get the 'cocking plate' made too

Been on the road all week, but home now - progress pics should be along soon

Steve
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 02-25-2008 at 06:27 AM.

Feedback Score

Starting to take shape

Good shot of the rails. 'Bottom' rails are the top edges of the 1.5" tube. Planning a flush buttplate with guide tubes for the recoil springs

The front will get trimmed even. Barrel is 9"/ OAL 22"

Next comes the BC extension, and locating the feed stud

Burned through the hinge pin shroud so you see some patch up. Hinge pin holes get hardened

The gas tube goes through the rear sight block to keep pressure contained for a longer stroke. Same set-up as my 6 inch shorty, but longer (4.5" stroke) to cycle the belt feed mech. AMD65 piston in a bobbed carrier, to keep the tube ID small / sealed. Will get pics of it later

Got alot of welding to do yet - some will be repair work No guarantee this will work, but hoping to be the first on my block with a 7.62x39 beltfed pistol

Steve

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Steve
    How are you going to mount your feed cam roller? Is it going to be like you did on your MG47 and does it have to be right on center on a RPD cover? It appears that the the cam does not track quite on the center line of the top cover.

Sharpsshooter5090

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.