Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: MG47 Jr.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I had to set mine aside for a while, but I am going to make a new receiver this weekend using a mill and clean up and square some parts.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

looks like i am going to stop for a while and just watch what you do on yours. i am excited in doing mine, but lack the skill and knowledge to go much farther without your help.
    thank you so much for the pictures, they help so much. please continue.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Pirate
    I like your pictures and your twin spring and guide rod arrangement. I have one comment though, isn't the left guide rod going to block the ejection port as it appears to not retract when the BC does?

SS

Feedback Score

Been making some progress

The stock tapped off fairly easily, and the mating edges are sharp. Needs to cure a few days before painting. The two holes on the bottom were for the temporary AK recoil spring mount (for chambering tests when locating the tray) and rear stop for the BC during belt-feed tests - before the cocking handle and slot were made

The BC ext rides against the rails on both sides. No play. Glad I went with full-length rails on both sides; additional reinforcements shouldn't be needed. Upper rails were welded on the bottom, before attaching the top sections to the lower tube. Cleaned up those welds to prevent interference with BC travel. It's supported in the vise by the four trunnion screws, to prevent rcvr damage

This shows how little clearance there is for the hammer. It doesn't reach to the top of the bolt. Because of the feed stud location, hammer length is limited. 1/64" longer and it would hit the BC ext, even though the top is bent up slightly, and the front beveled, for all the hammer clearance I could get. If it were bent any higher, it would rub against the feed lever in the TC. The feed stud was repositioned forward (again) to delay timing / sequence, because my feed tray is further back than 'normal'. Because of that, I have very little space for a 'bridge'. Next time I'll get it right

Video hand-cycling (feeding & ejecting) Everything's working well so far
    http://media.putfile.com/MG47-Jr-Feeding--Hand-cycling

I've never owned nor fired an RPD (semi or FA) so this is brand new to me I didn't know how far to pull the belt in, to begin feeding (one spot BEFORE the feed slot) or that the pawl would be visible on the left, prior to feeding/pushing the next cartridge. I HOPE that's right! It's been a good learning experience. With no major obstacles, testfire may be in a couple days

Steve in El Paso

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Steve
    That is so cool, looks like it feeds great. Glade you got it going.

Tom H.

SS

Feedback Score

Thanks Tom -

I still need to re-make the gas tube, because this one's recessed for the BC snout (gone!) and will most likely lose pressure

Things yet to do: finish the side welds (I dread that) and fill in the pits, drill the gas port, enlarge the ejection port higher (on a normal AK, it IS the 'upper rail') harden the ejector tip, hinge pin holes, stock TD pin holes, and finish the barrel extension. Knockin 'em out one by one I hope dremelling & sandblasting can smooth out the welds. Would also like to make some sort of sliding cover, to hide the unsightly opening in front of the TC

What I'd really like to build is a BF pistol in 7.62x25. The cartridge comes out of RPD links effortlessly. It would require less recoil spring, and stroke could be kept super-short in straight blowback. Next time, I'll do the tray-to-trunnion like the pic you posted the other day. Shorter cartridge path = shorter OAL and simpler/smoother operation

Steve

Part II

I was asked for a pic of the cocking plate

No work of art - just a plate with a step to engage the BC. Easy fit with 1/16" wall tubing rcvr. It lays tight at rest after it's cocked, so the handle is non-reciprocating

Finished welding the sides tonight. I am not a very good welder and there are some small pits visible here & there

A flapper disc works wonders, smoothing out the welds. There are some burns beneath the tray, which I hope to build up later. It will accept a '42 gripstick (using a mounting plate) or a CETME lower, which is much easier to fit & modify for semi

Still alot more to do!
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 03-15-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added Part II

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm still waiting for someone to put a M-60 barrel assembly in a AK front trunion.

That will solve the whole set of front end problems, i.e, enough gas for recoil, gas operation is set-up and ready to go, bipod is installed, and so on. You will need a taller rear sight however, and perhaps an extension for the bolt carrier to the gas piston.

Who's first??

Feedback Score

Default Finally a short video - still alot to correct

Alot's happened here, since the site got overhauled - which looks great!

I hardly know where to start. Some 'different looking' handguards somehow got on there, been playing with stronger/longer recoil spring lengths (which corrected some ejection problems) and a headspace problem has developed. Fortunately it's not a big deal to tear apart, and I have oversize pins on hand. The best it's fed so far has been around 20 consecutive rounds

Today we shot a short video:
    http://media.putfile.com/Starting-to-work

Will keep you posted

Steve

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Maybe... "IF"... the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Second Amendment as written, you can install a full-auto FCG later on. It sure would be nice.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

shadow, I wouldn't count on it. One of the Justices made it clear the Government can and will regulate firearms within reason (they determine what is reasonable) and that automatics must not be availible to the public. I will try to find a link.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.