Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: MG47 Jr.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

ASgt Ron, thanks for the info. I called them about three weeks ago, and they said it had be shipped. They didn't actually look to be sure though.

I will call them again on Monday. This time I will ensure they actually check to see if the order was shipped. Heck, I should have received the order a month ago.

Feedback Score

Default Thank You Sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cntrailrider View Post
    Emory -

On the MG47, using a MG3 / MG1 TC, my stud is located 1 15/16" behind the rear inside of the tray, centered. It's worked as far forward as 1 5/8"

With the RPD TC, the feed stud is a 10/24 socket head cap screw. My BC ext is 3/4" wide, 1/8" thick, and the top of the "L" is ABOVE the top rails. Stud is 1.25" behind the body of the BC and 5/8" behind the bolt (when locked up) and 1/2" behind the inside rear of the FT. Post #64, pics 3 & 4 show how off-center the feed stud is, on a 3/4" wide BC ext. You see an extra hole which was part of the 'locating process'. I drilled & tapped four holes in the first BC ext before finding the 'sweet spot'. Remember, my breech is further forward (longer cartridge-chambering path) which greatly affects the beltfeed timing

On both builds, to get it to feed & cycle smoothly, I bent the "L" on top of the BC ext slightly left or right (in the vise) and studied how far the feed lever & pawls moved during hand cycling. It affects things greatly. Sight down the top flat body of the BC and keep track of where you're bending it, in relation to centerline, and make notes so you don't keep bending things the wrong way. When you get it right, WRITE IT DOWN because it's easy to forget exactly where it finally worked best. I built three BC ext's for the MG47, and two for 'Jr' before getting things right. Good thing they're simple to build, because alot of trial & error was involved. I wouldn't know how to mill a BC ext and get it right on the first go

Hope that sheds some light on feed stud location

Steve (that's me! right down to the suspenders)
    Steve,

That gives me at least a starting point for both configurations. Mounting surfaces for my feed studs will probably look like "Worm Wood" by the time it's all over, but at least I can hope to have planted the "Tree" in the right area!! I'll just try to drill all the holes in some sort of "Pattern" and that way I can claim they're "Lightening Holes" later..........................
    Jeez Steve, if the little icon is a spittin image of you, We just might be RELATED!!!!!

Thanks,
    Emory Jones

Feedback Score

Emory -

'Wormwood' means you've explored every possible option to attain adjustable timing, and we all know they're really lightning holes, right? I can't hardly wait to see pics of your "Twenty-three and a-half"

I was asked for a pic of the handguards

They're M249 HG's that I found for $5 each. I squashed the clips inside, to fit the barrel & gas tube

The lower slips into a lip on the front of the rcvr; the top is held by the bayonet lug on the gas block. Strip of aluminum closes the gap. They may look a little odd, but they're comfortable, lightweight, and disipate heat quickly

It gives a profile simililar to a Saiga .410 shotgun. I'd like to epoxy a mating contour on top, to blend into the rcvr

About the topcovers - Robert literally travels all over the world finding parts for us to play with - he had several hundred TC's stored in Germany destined for import. It was clear when SS first posted his MG47, there would be a sudden run on them. To those who ordered late, he's getting them out as fast as he can

Have to limit use of the little 'ole man wearing my suspendors. I find the motion distracting, as others probably do too

Steve

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That looks nice Can't wait to see it with a finish on it.

Question time
    Why did you go with the CETME/HK trigger housing, easier to work with, or cheaper?

How do the sights line up, did you have to mod anything on either of them?

Feedback Score

Thanks Coils -

As luck would have it, elevation on the sights was three turns up on the FS post

HK/CETME pack is 'ready made' and easy to mount, and I already had one. Just add an "L", recess the housing, and drill pin holes in the rear. A complete semi-conversion takes me about 30 minutes. I've built a HK51 & 51K, am very familiar with them, and am fortunate to own a transferrable Fleming HK sear pack. The '42 gripstick w/AR group was a 3 day project in itself, before getting the geometry right for an MG47. Pirate and some other folks market 'FCG drill jigs' (that was mentioned earlier) I didn't have a FCG jig (just mic the hole distance, right?) and milling it out with a drill press, to get a hammer spring in there was alot more difficult than you'd think. Try one! Not to mention laying the hammer low enough to cock with adequate BC clearance, yet engage the DC for proper function. Then there's the problem of the light (and fragile, after the mods) hammer & spring. My '42 gripstick uses the original trigger axis hole and is up flat against the rcvr. It was by no means a 'casual' project. HK/CETME lower is 20 times easier, for me at least. If you've done a few for semi '42s, it might not be a big deal - but this one was my first

Tomorrow is sandblasting day

Steve
    Last edited by cntrailrider; 03-23-2008 at 02:03 AM.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

There you go, working in the middle of the night again Steve. You must never sleep!!
    But, then again, why am I up at this hour also???

SS

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks Steve, I'm still desiding on witch FCG to go with (not ready for it anyway), but want to explore the options a while.

Feedback Score

Default 'It Is Finished' - the day after Good Friday

Today was one of those days when everything in the shop just seemed to go right. You know what I mean - no rushing, everything 'just happens to fit' and the mood is pleasant instead of tense concern. Blasting went well

Top HG slips/locks onto the bayo lug. BC was blasted & blued, and contrasts nicely with the bright bolt & piston. When building your TC latch area, DISASSEMBLE the latch (the screw is STAKED) and build it so it mates with the BACK END OF THE TOPCOVER. Don't do what I did, then have to build it up around the latch, see? There's some free advice that I didn't have. MG1/3 latch screws are also *staked*. Save yourself some headaches

There are some pits, but not readily noticable. I intend to blend the top HG/rcvr joint with epoxy

Enough space for a laser, and an endcap to hide it. I bought several off ebay for $35 ea (that back screw is loose...)

Elevation took 3 turns up on the FS post. It was meant to be

I guess this pic is the one you've been hoping to see - it will go on my wall. That's about $600 of homebuilt hardware in 7.62x39

The shop is all cleaned up and tonight I relax. Tomorrow, my new pet dragon and I go play - Easter Sunday is always a good day to shoot & celebrate larger things

If there's anything you'd like to see more of, let me know. I am open to suggestions & constructive criticism. I plan to post more videos, then it's on to a self-contained twin-spring BC attempt (Doubletapme did it) with a buttplate, and complete it as the originally-intended pistol. And if THAT works, I can hear a 7.62x25 calling my name....

Happy Easter

Steve in El Paso

Feedback Score

Default Congratulations Steve!! Jr. turned out GREAT!!

Boy what a difference a little finish and detail work make!! The handguards are a "Much Needed" option for these guns, kind of a hill to climb when everything is "Upside Down"!! The 240 adaptation looks right at home on Jr. and it does have the "Saiga" look to it to go with the RPD top cover. Truly a job well done, and for $300 hard money, what a deal!! Of course at a Nickle and Hour for your time, it's worth what?? 4K or so??

By all means, take a well deserved, but brief vacation, and go shoot something!! BUT, be prepared to make good on the "Beltfed Pistol" as soon as your blood pressure is back to normal. I started on the two MG47 type guns last night, got the receivers/trunnions and top covers all mated up. Started doing the bolt carriers this evening and ran out of steam about 10 pm. Unless I have made some gross mis-step in the plan, these will be the "Simplified" version of Double Tap's killer twin spring carrier idea. Virtually no machine work, quick, easy and very compact. The RPD version receiver looks like it can be just over 12" long, shorter if I changed the way the top cover latch works. I took some pictures today and will take some more tomorrow as I go along.

Thanks,
    Emory Jones
    Crankfire Systems Home/Index Page

Feedback Score

Thanks Emory -

We are VERY ANXIOUS to see your pics - I can't wait to see your Twentythree & a-half. Emory, how many MG47 irons do you have IN THE FIRE?!?

The SAW249 HG's have grown on me. They didn't even need trimmed to length, and I bought a half dozen @ $5 each, with no idea what they'd wind up on. There are so many things I would do differently, and I DO have it to do over again, in 7.62x25. THE SECOND ONE WAS SO MUCH EASIER. A twin-spring BC (Uzi/small dia/common) and buttplate for Jr. in 7.62x39 is first. I believe I have it figured out to where it can be done w/o a mill, using telescopic rod/tube spring guides. Drilling into BC's is a horrible job; tapping them is worse. Wish me luck - this is like the most enjoyable game of chess I've ever played

My Thanks Again, to SharpsShooter, for opening the portal. This is like going from throwing stones to bows & arrows. The new millenium for the home-builder IS HERE!

Steve

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

belt fed 91

hk21e feed
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.