Feedback Score

Thanks Vis

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

GAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Thank you Vis! Now I can quit looking.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That thing looks like an MG-42 had its way with a box of 9mm ammo!

The article has some interesting points - "completely unmarked prototype"

"likely intended for AFV (vehicle) support"

"use of a belt makes sense in the context of AFV support"
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    HRM...

I'm not convinced the 7.62x25 has enough powder behind it to *RELIABLY* and *CONSISTENTLY* feed the belt-fed mechanism, and that would beg the question of what would you do if you found you couldn't make it work? Rebarrel the build? That would be an expensive experiment... I'm sure you could get it to work if you did enough tweaking, but even if it does, I can't say that that particular caliber would be something I'd choose first.

Personally I'd think you could get better bang for the buck with another caliber.
    People make .22 belt fed.

Feedback Score

could a 5.45 ak gas action betuned to work reliably with 7.62 by 25 cart.

Feedback Score

Default Someone

Someone needs to copy one of those & get it running.

Feedback Score

I like the idea of using 7.62x25. Mainly due to the low cost of ammo, which is a major consideration when choosing a belt fed caliber.

If you built a belt fed 7.62x25 that DIDNT work, I dont see that there would be a major financial loss. Depending on your approach, most of the parts may still be useable in a 7.62x39 build (assuming it was AK based from the start). The remaining SPECIFIC 7.62 x25 parts (barrel, modified bolt, ???) could always be used on a AK caliber converstion. You would have to consider the time invested as 'experiance' and 'education'...

Does the 7.62x25 fit in any other links?

Feedback Score

Cassini -

I haven't tried x25 in any other links. Anyone who has RPD "U" links on hand will instantly be able to see how perfect they'd work. The cartridge guide ON the feed tray has a lip to align/guide RPD links as they pass through. I ground that lip off, in my attempt to use DM1 links. But with DM1 belts, the cartridges are spaced a TINY bit too far, for the 'throw' of the belt-feed mech, to feed. It wasn't successful. But 7.62x39 feeds reliably even w/o that guide lip. So standard "U" belts WILL feed backwards. I don't like the idea of having to modify belts specifically for one single firearm

Mac or Uzi (recoil) springs would seem ideal; choice of lower (with a hammer spring weak enough to be cocked) would be critical. AR hammer spring might work. The BC extension would have to be very lightweight. The little 7.62x25 would have to cycle the BC AND feed mech, overcome an adequate recoil spring, and cock the hammer. The lucky part is how easily they push out of the links, so the recoil spring could be kept light, leaving alot of the inertia to cycle the feed mech

I believe a gas-assisted blowback would work. A removable-bolt caliber conversion is not complex, and a shorty BC/piston set-up would reduce weight. The most work intensive part is building a rcvr in which the BC can GLIDE. I would locate the FT on TOP of the front trunnion (instead of behind it) for a shorter feed path. I've fed x25 through mine and it DOES FEED & CHAMBER even with the long path. If 7.62x25 didn't work out, the front end could be replaced with 7.62x39, the ejector tip relocated futher aft (tip on my RPD'd TC build is TIG'd) to resume life as an RPD47

I'd like to see others refine the use of an RPD TC. Pirate was well underway, but hasn't posted any progress in awhile.

My biggest problem is finding shop time - it would require several days uninterrupted, to get everything juggled right. I think about this project alot, and with one week could know if it'd work

Steve

Feedback Score

I have had no luck sourcing RPD topcovers. Are they available anywhere?

Feedback Score

what book is that from???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.