Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: M1919a building

Feedback Score

There are a few that you can use. Of course you already know about the A6 setup.

Beyond that you can get an M2 tripod which is what the original 1919 was mounted on. ORF is selling Izzy M2s for around $650. I don't know if they include the T&E or pintle. You would have to check with them. This is probably the most expensive option.

Most guys just starting out go with the MG42/MG3 AA tripod with a 1919 adapter. You can get the tripod from many different places for less than $100. There are plent of people making adapters for these. Some come with dual ammo can holders. Some with T&E units on them. Most of them run about $100-$200. What's really nice about this is that you can set them up for a sitting or standing setup. Here's a pic of Weaponeer's 16" 1919 Flamthrower on the AA mount.

Another option is a Sokolov mount that is included when you buy the 1910 Maxim parts kit. The entire kit runs just under $600 before shipping. Compare that to the M2 and you can see just how good a deal this is. We are currently running a group buy on these right now. Here's a link to some pics of the 1919 on the Sokolov mount.
    http://www.volkoweb.com/maximkit.htm

You can also use the MG42 Ground Mount. Tapco has these for $500 right now. This is a hell of a deal as it include the optics. Tapco also sells the adapter for the 1919. Here's a link:
    http://www.tapco.com/product_informa...t=107&last=107

I'm using a ZB37 tripod that we got in the last group buy. I had to have an adapter made but it's a great tripod. Here's a pic of weaponeer's dual 1919 crankfired setup on his ZB37 tripod.

I hope this gives you enough options. All of them are great. Each has it's own pros and cons. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Very nice Shortrnd! So the M2 is the original mount? Sounds a bit too steep right now for me. But the substitute, MG43 is more in my range as far as price goes. I do have a question though. I would prefer a mount that was actually used in combat with the 1919 mounted to it. Is the M2 the only one that was? I was thinking of something that was authentic, but not as pricey as the M2? Any ideas?

Also, in the picture, what kind of setup do you have going? What kind of barrel do you have attached. It doesn't look like the standard 1919. And the detachable bipod underneath?

Feedback Score

Yes the M2 is the correct mount for the 1919 and the only correct mount that I know of. For a truly correct USGI M2 you will be looking more in the $1000+ range if you can find a USGI M2 at all. They are real pricey and IMO not the nicest tripod either.

The pics are actually Gary's (Weaponeer) 1919s. The top one is mounted with just about every 1919 accessory known to man lol. The barrel is 16 1/4 inches with an A6 flash hiding cone and an A6 bipod. The scope is a Trilux. It has the extended charging handle and a set of spade grips. He calls it the flamethrower because when you shoot it a huge fireball comes out of the muzzle. It's pretty cool from what I hear.

Feedback Score

Smile Weaponeers 1919's

Just a little added information on my setup. The barrels on mine are 16.25 inch shorty barrels. I converted mine to 8mm (very cheap ammo, and lots of extra flash).

I have the following Tripods:
    MG42/MG3 Ground Mount
    MG42/Mg3 AA Tripod
    ZB-37 Ground Mount
    Sokolov Maxim Wheeled Mount
    And the A6 Setup

I can swap calibers to the following in just a few minutes:
    7.62mm
    8mm

The barrel options are:
    30.06 A6 Profile
    8mm (Standard and Shorty)
    7.62mm (Standard and Shorty)

The cheapest mount is the MG42/MG3 AA Tripod, but it's also the least stable. The original tripod was the M2 (not including truck and jeep mounts).

The Nicest mount is the MG42/MG3 Ground Mount, and the largest is the ZB-37 (which can also handle an M2 or M3 .50 cal).

The only mounts which do not require adapters are:
    M2
    Sokolov
    Vickers

You can also get M2 Repo tripods under $400, and they look just about perfect.

The following setup (Double Trouble, the flame thrower from hell)

Has two M1919A4's (8mm Shorties) mounted with twin Crankfire Systems Cranks, connected to one handle. One turn of the crank fires 12 rounds down range, and I have been able to exceed 1000 rnds per min.

The M1919A4 can be fired using metal links or 100/250 cloth belts.

The 1919 is an easy build, and if you cannot do the machining of the internals, that only costs $115. The 1919 is the cheapest semi-auto belt fed on the planet. You can trick them out, or leave them alone for the original look, and in either case they look great, and are extremely fun to shoot.

The Maxim kit group buy includes the Maxim Water Cooled parts kit, the Wheeled mount (perfect for the 1919) and the armor shield. The Maxim build (when approved by the ATF) will not be much harder than the 1919, and I would expect Maxim semi-autos to be selling upwards of $2000+

Currently the Maxim is the only water cooled kit you can still buy that is affordable, and it's the original machine gun.

I fired a FA Maxim last year, and all I an say is WOW!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

very cool info......Thanks to gary and his site I got alot of parts for my build about a year or so ago. I have it finished and shooting well with a 17 inch shorty barrel and shroud with spade grips but havent had time to actually do the refinishing yet so I havent taken any pics. I have the MG42 ground tripod and the AA mount plus an original M2 mount. The AA mount is actually the best (and the cheapest) because you can sit in a chair and shoot all day long with it. The others are just too close to the ground......especially from a wheelchair....
    FIREARM REFINISHING AT ITS FINEST !

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants
    FAL/AR-15/Handguns/Shotguns

Affordable prices/Licensed Gunsmith
    4 to 6 week turnaround
    -Send an email for a price quote today and
    check out our website-

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Salbo,

Are there any tricky mods needed when shortening the barrel? I don't think I want to cut my barrel, but a short spare barrel and shroud would be a cool accessory to have if a change was desired.

Obviously the shroud would need work, but do you have to do anything with the booster?

Were your spade grips an assembled unit, or did you make your own?

Does anyone have a link to vendors carrying the cloth belts for sale?
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I bought my shorty barrel and shroud from Curtis at Ordnance Research. Check out Weaponeeer for a group buy on them. THey have them from time to time. I got the barrel, shroud and 30.06 booster for one price. You will need to open up your old booster with the shortened barrel. I shoot 308 in mine and had to go with a 30.06 booster to make sure of enough and not too much gas to do the cycling. I also bought my spades from Curtis and the same deal goes with Gary at Weaponeer. THey were having group buys all the time on this stuff.

You can also check out Curtis at www.ordnanceresearch.com ...he is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable......

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants

4 to 6 week turnaround
    check out our website-

Feedback Score

im going to build 1

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Caven
    im going to build 1
    good luck John. They are alot of fun to build. I have mine setup on the tripod in a room adjoining my office and I have a hard time going by it and not racking the bolt....hehe.......Beware the cost of the kit is less than half (probalby a 1/3) of the finished product unless you do machine and refinish work yourself. I have never sat down and really crunched the numbers....I also refinish 1919's if anyone needs theirs professionally refinished.......I have the best rates around......

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants

4 to 6 week turnaround
    check out our website-

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

One of these days when I get time I've got a 4" x 36" piece of 4140 to machine a sideplate out of. The material was a good deal at $30 or so delivered. That ought to be a fun project just making the sideplate let alone doing the rest of the work.

Oh then there is a need for a linker... and... and

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.