Gunco Forums banner

belt fed timing problem

715 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  vz58 
#1 ·
I am having a timing problem. Everything feeds fine and chambers fine on the forward stroke of the bolt, but as the bolt comes back the next round is fed too soon and slides over and is struck by my feed lug as the feed lug/bolt comes back. I was wondering how the timing is on a mg42 or m60 or mg34. When does the next round advance? Within the first 2-3" of rearward travel? or after the feed lug is completely past the tray? I could make the lug spring loaded so it rides under the round as it passes under the next round in the tray, but this will be a major PITA.

Now before you ask what I have, it is almost all hand built, my own design. I just did not quite get this part right.

#2 ·
VZ58 -

You already know that your feed stud location determines the timing. I'd try moving it front a bit (trial & error) to delay the feed. I just worked through the same thing, using an RPD topcover on a homemade rcvr
I believe yours is an MG47, right? Depending on how you built your BC extension (where the feed stud is positioned) you may be able to bend it left or right to alter the travel on the feed lever. I did that and it helped, but mine is an "L" shaped bar so it's bendable

Keep us posted on how you make out. A pic would help us brainstorm possible solutions

Steve

#3 ·
I am having a timing problem. Everything feeds fine and chambers fine on the forward stroke of the bolt, but as the bolt comes back the next round is fed too soon and slides over and is struck by my feed lug as the feed lug/bolt comes back. I was wondering how the timing is on a mg42 or m60 or mg34. When does the next round advance? Within the first 2-3" of rearward travel? or after the feed lug is completely past the tray? I could make the lug spring loaded so it rides under the round as it passes under the next round in the tray, but this will be a major PITA.

Now before you ask what I have, it is almost all hand built, my own design. I just did not quite get this part right.
VZ,

I'd encourage you to snoop around the stickies in the MG42 website:

http://www.mg42.us/

There are some good posts about top tray assembly and how the feed pawls are assembled. From there, you should be able to ascertain the function enough to help out.

To answer your question, the next round advances in the last 2-3 inches of FORWARD travel. The arm is curved more toward the front than the rear. The MG42 has a downward ejection. The ejection port is immediately below the feed tray, and immediately in front of the trigger housing. The arm is moved at the point just before the bolt is ready to strip a round.

HTH

#4 ·
hc I did that, my tray and cover are one of the few purchased items. I have a mg3 cover and a try for m60 links.

It is feeding on the back stroke and not the forward like I thought too it should. I willl head back to the shop agaiin today...
I looked at that site a few months ago and ordered what should have worked. Maybe I was sent a wrong cover?

#6 ·
Got it working,
I don't know if this is correct but 50 out of 50 fed fine. I had to reduce the height on the feed lug, now on the return stroke the cartidge advances and is bumped up by the feed lug. The bolt slides under it and is fine.
on the return stroke the mouse trap spring guide plate pushes it down and the reduced feed lug smacks it on the brass and it slides right in to the chamber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.