Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TIG Welding problems

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default TIG Welding problems

I've got my HF TIG welder setup and running, but after doing a number of test welds to get back in the swing of welding and laying down a nice bead, I'm running into problems.

First off, all is hooked up correctly and I've reviewed the TIG 101 info on pirate's web site (very helpful!).

The problem is I'm getting a lot of air bubbles, voids, whatever you want to call them in my welds. I've welded before, mostly gas and arc, so I'm not a total newbie, but it's been a while. The metal surfaces were blasted and cleaned very well beforehand. No slag! I've talked to one of the welders where I work and his guess is that I may have a bad tank of Argon (impurities).

Anyone else note this problem using one of these HF welders? I want to check around first before going through the likely hassle of getting my Argon supplier to give me a different tank of gas.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

some questions,
    what size nozzle are you using on the torch?
    how many cfh are you set at on the regulator?
    when you are welding are you getting a good puddle?

you can give me a call with questions if you want

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'm using a number 5 nozzle, running the gas at between 15-20 on the regulator. Power setting I've tried everywhere between 4-7, but mostly about 5 or so.

I am getting a good puddle, though it's slow to start at times, and the bubbles seem most frequent at that point. It's like I get a nice bead started then a bubble will pop up.

Added: The air pockets become most evident when I grind the weld down. Things might look ok on the surface, but once I grind the weld down that's when I see the small pits and holes (ala swiss cheese).
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

nozzle & gas flow are ok, heat also, are you trying to fill a gap or is the metal butted up ?
    it sounds like carbon boiling out, are you using copper clad steel rod?
    try moving a little faster with the weld and see if that helps.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Yep, using copper clad steel rod and I've done both gap filling and trying to fill weld the holes in the ratchet plate. The carbon boiling out sounds about right. I have noticed when this problem occurs that I see what almost looks like fizzy looking slag stuff form in the same area the holes/pits occur.

I'll try to speed up the process and give that a try. I think what's slowing down my getting a bead laid is that it takes a while for a good puddle to form. In gas welding I always cranked up the heat a bit to solve that, but I'm trying to weld as cool as possible with this receiver.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I had the same problem, and found out it was the angle at which I was holding my torch. It wasn't letting the argon fully shield the puddle. I am far from an expert at tig, but I have encountered lots of problems and found out what the cause is. I personally never had a bad argon tank, but I imagine that would cause problems too.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

May sound like an obvious question but are you using 100% argon ? My ex-goofball gas supplier told me 75/25 for TIG

75% Argon / 25% CO2 shielding gas = Carbon Boil out

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The tank should be Argon only as that's what I specified. It's only marked as containing Argon as well.

Yeah, I may not be getting the angle right as well. I'll have to experiment some more before going back to a receiver. My technique is no doubt contributing as this is my first TIG welding.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You should be good with the shileding gas then. Here's the problem I was having with the 75/25 where I was adding more carbon to the pool with the 25% CO2 gas. In my case, I kept thinking something was wrong with my technique. I tried and tried over a couple of weeks only to end up with the same crap. Then I asked Pirate and he got me straighten out. My problem was easy enough to resolve but I'd already pulled out half of my hair by then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Illya Kuryakin Is right the 75/25 blend gas won't work on TIG, I think that is used on MIG. At work I had fits with the welder untill I looked up at the replacement bottle that the guy just hooked up for me. It was a brown bottle that had a silver ring arround the top that's 75/25.
    Just get the bottle purged again and filled with argon you will be welding in no time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.