Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My M53/MG42 is almost there

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I rechecked things a bit more last night. The hammer is hitting the striker at the point where the hammer just begins to radius back at the top rather than hitting the flat face of the hammer. It's right at that transition. I may need to reshape the face of the hammer a bit or adding metal to the top of it to build up a flatter face. Trimming the striker back more at this point will allow the hammer to swing further forward, but that would also result in it contacting the hammer closer to its top. In short, my hammer sits just a smidgen too low.

I have a few spare hammers I can check to see if one will work better than the one I currently have installed. These are all foreign made FCG parts I'm tinkering with at this point. Once I'm done debugging I'll modify a US made set to satisfy the parts count gestapo.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Looks good c310pilot!
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

RV,

that was one reason i didnt finish welding my FCG brackets ntil after it all worked out...

you should stil have a small bit of play in the rear mounting spot if you didnt weld it either and this may give you enough.

you would have had to cut a mountain of hammer off to get it toooo short.

mine also hits right on that line from the front face to the next angle back, but it has plenty of whack on romanian and yugo stuff.

but ive found it doesnt really care much for the turkish stuff.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sounds like yours is hitting the striker about where mine is. I don't think I could have positioned the whole grip assembly any higher without it being canted upward at the front. No worries, one more minor mod is no big deal at this point.

I'll polish things a bit more and apply some of that expensive lube I bought for my MG34. That stuff is slicker than slick.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I forgot to ask, but do you guys consider the modified bolt carrier and the modified grip frame as US made parts now that they've been altered so much?

With the Wise Lite receiver, hammer, trigger, sear, and home made grip panels I have 5 US parts so far.

bil
    Feedback Score

I count them as US made,they are completely differant than original.When the MG42 site gets back on line,you can check there,a list of 922r parts is posted.Sounds like you are almost there with your build! It is worth all the work. ---bil

Feedback Score

I ended up trimming the spring on the firing pin. It seemed very stiff and about .1875 longer than it needed to be. Now when the hammer strikes, it sets the firing pin in instead of bouncing off. I hope this doesn't adversley effect any thing else. What this super duper lube?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The lube is MIL-COMM TW25 grease. It's a synthetic white grease, very slippery. Not cheap. About $75 for a 16oz squeeze bottle, but you only need a little dab.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

RV,

your gonna find out real quick that while you only need a little dab.... your gonna be cleaning this thing EVERY single time you shoot it. lmao

yep it does sound like our hammers are hitting the same place... you may be better off than you thought.

now about those parts... man i hate to even answer this.

the last letter we got on a build said: that if it was made in another country to start with that it was still a foriegn part no matter how much altering you did to it...

that really sux, but the letter was specific to a build about "reworking" bolts and when does it become a US part... this lead to Jestism just making US bolts for the Suomi and baretta's and giving up on conversion's of them.

but if you using Pirates FCG set up you will have all US FAL parts in there... so parts count is no real issue from there.

you can get a US made rear stock from Dan at angola arms if your still a part shy.

sdk
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I have 5 US made parts for this project so far excluding the bolt/carrier and pistol grip frame. Wise Lite Receiver, Falcon hammer,trigger,sear, home made pistol grip panels. Should be good to go.

I modified a test hammer by adding weld to the top of it then grinding to get a taller flat surface on the front. I'll test it out later today if I get the time.

As for cleaning I clean everything shot same day. Never have been one to let a firearm go dirty regardless of the ammo being used.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

m53 ratchet plate dimensions

mg42 headspace

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.