Thread: Belt fed FAL?

Gainesville, Ga Prototype Services's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default Belt fed FAL?

I did a search but didn't find anything.
    Has anyone contemplated a beltfed FAL?

I am just getting started building AKs, and have never had anything beltfed in my hands to study. But I have messed with FALs for years.

I think an AR would be fun too, but I understand the JAC beltfeds had some problems.

Dave

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i dont think the design would lend itself very well at all.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I am working on a design for a beltfeed FAL. Totally different concept that the MG47 series. Rear lock up tipping bolt presents some unique problems.

SS

Gainesville, Ga Prototype Services's Avatar
    Feedback Score

The newest factory Imbel FALs were chambered in 223 with a rotary bolt like an AR, but I would like to stay close to original design in 308. Here again, without any knowledge of beltfeds....
    SS, does your idea/design leave the lower receiver, buttstock, etc alone? Do you think you will use 1919 or M-60 links? (I have a bucket of M-60s)
    I have a bunch of L1A1 builds and kits, and almost done with my L2A1 HB. A Beltfed L2 would be a nice addition.
    If I can help or bounce ideas back and forth, email me.
    Based on what little stuff I have seen on this board, I assumed the gas system would need to be flipped, so I have been thinking about trying to make a new gasblock. I have an extra bipod.....

Feedback Score

belt fed FAL are a myth. south africa did make HB with QD barrels, but that's just the beginning of fun.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default A history lesson

Hello All,

FN, et al. Did create several designs in an attempt to fill the FN FND / MG 42 void. The issue seemed to revolve around the conflict between a BAR type need when coupled with Springfield Bolt guns and the MG 42 need based on (the same thing) Mauser 98 Karbines.

Once an army was equipped with FN FAL rifles, did they really need an dedicated sustained fire weapon?

Well, we know now that the answer is YES!

And so, the answer is the FN MAG (FN-58), and the subsequent FN Minimi.

Where am I going with this? FN did not think that they could market anything based on the FN- FAL system other than a heavy barrel variant, like the Isreali version. And that worked in the same way that the BAR worked. Really well as long as you had a Browning 1919 along for the ride.

I don't want to rain on your picnic, but this is not a good idea! It could be fun so long as you understand the place that this kind of firearm fills.

Good Luck!

Bellson

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.