Thread: Belt fed inquiries

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Belt fed inquiries

Okay, so from seeing the MG47 threads, I'm going to be collecting parts to make my own belt fed. My question is whether or not they fall under the same parts count rules as normal long arms or if they are special cases considering I haven't really seen to many "made in the USA" parts hawked for the MG42/MG3 or the M1919a4/a6.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

MG42 and 1919 are not designed to be shoulder fired. Parts count only applies to those weapons designed to be shoulder fired. Also the 1919 is USA made anyway. ( this is the way I understand it anyway.)

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

the mg42 needs to be 922 compliant.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yep this is an old debate that was re done and redone again......

a mg42 WAS designed to be shoulder fired..... in the understanding that you were putting it agianst your shoulder not actually holding it up. so after all the reclassing it does have to be 922r compliant... which is not hard to do on it.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

The MG-47 builds use a LOT of 'US MADE' parts... Depending on how you make it...

I see the MG-47ES will have (US MADE):
    Forearm
    Buttstock
    Pistol Grip
    Disconnect
    Trigger
    Hammer
    Trigger Housing
    GasPiston/ (technically Operating Rod???)
    Barrel (On Mine)
    Muzzle Attachment
    Receiver...

That leaves me with only FOUR foreign made parts on the list... It doesn't have a sear, it doesn't have a magazine body, floorplate or follower, no barrel extension...

I'm more than good to go with my MG-47ES!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hmm, interesting. Good to know because I was going to have mine use the extra FAL lower I have, and maybe use an AR10 bolt and carrier, and maybe convert my CETME to a HK21 setup. Not sure yet, I just need to get the belt fed parts.

How do you make an MG42 complinent? As far as I know only the receiver and fire control parts are offered as US made?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

To be compliant a rifle has to have no more than ten foreign parts from "the list", number of US made parts is irrelevant.

"The list":

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearm handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

3 of the parts on the list are actually the magazine parts so a beltfed can only have a max of 17. Receiver is US made, so drop that to 16. No gas piston, so we're at 15 parts left max.

Having only a passing familiarity with the MG42 and the semi FCGs used in common conversions I would say you have no sear, and if a US made hammer/trigger/disconnector were used that's a total of 4 more parts off the list, leaving 11. The bolt itself is a 2 piece affair, separate body and head. Dunno if ATF considers that a bolt AND "carrier" or just a bolt. So you may or may not need another US part to get to that magic 10 parts count.

Feedback Score

Kernel Krink's got it right. It's not so much about how many foreign parts you have. If they're not on the list they don't matter. The Hammer, Trigger, Disconnector drops it to 11 parts, the MG-47ES uses a home-made Trigger Housing / Fire Control Group tray, dropping it down to 10 parts, and then you've always got the buttstocks, foregrips, pistol grip, and all the other things that likely will need to be added...

You can easily whittle the list down to 4 to 6 foreign parts... Even though it only needs to have less than 10 foreign parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'll keep that in mind as I plan on getting a MG53 kit once I move duty stations in the next week or so.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.