Gunco Forums banner

MG47BP BELT FEED BULLPUP

17K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  SHARPSSHOOTER5090 
#1 ·
With the extra parts I had left ever from making the tutorial for the MG47ES is am building a MG47ES ak based bullpup. I uses an AK barrel, trunnion, ES receiver, gas tube, gas pistion, FCG tray assy, RPD topcover assy. I am using a RPD topcover because it is about 2" shorter than the MG1 top cover and will allow me to shorten the receiver by 2" also.

#2 ·
Here are the pictures of sharpsshooter5090's MG47BP.

#4 ·
Progress on MG47BP

I got the gripstick mounted last night and the bolt carrier drill and tapped 1/4-28UNF for the BC extension. I need to get a bolt which is the only AK thing I don't have yet. With that, I will thin the stripping lug and install the FCG tray and return spring and see if it feeds. I will come up with some sort of temporary operating handle and I have to study CTR's posts to find out where to put the feed cam stud. Pictures at 11:00 or 10:00 or what ever the news casters say???

SS

#8 · (Edited)
MG47BP pictures

Here is some pictures of the trigger and how it actuates the FCG. The gas tube locking lever doubles as a safety by when rotated vertical rides in a half circle groove in the trigger bar blocking its rearward movement. When in the normal positioning the detent hole, the trigger bar can move freely. Sorry for the out of fucus images.

SS

Attachments

#11 ·
I have been trying to get the BC assy to strip the round from the RPD belts but it takes 2or 3 hits to get them push from the very tight links. I have a 16" M60 return spring with about 1 1/2" of inital compression and about 6 1/2" total compression. The bolt face is about 1" from the back of the feed try at it's rear most travel. I am going to increase that a bit and get more compression and BC assy inertia. I am also going to open up the links by pushing an overside round bar into them from the side. I will try that on a few links on the end of the belt as I don't know how much they can be opened without cracking and changing the pitch of the belt.

SS

#14 ·
I opening up the links by pressing a .535 diameter round bar into each link. Now the cartridges fit in the links about as tight as in the MG3 links and it feed, chambers and ejects fine. I will post pictures as soon as I can. It is ready to test fire but this week end is the start of the muzzleloader deer hunt and my son and I are going.

SS

#15 · (Edited)
I got the hand guards, butt plate and cocking handle attached. I need to drill the trunnion for the barrel pin,(virgin trunnion) open up some more links and it's ready to test fire. I hope I can try it this weekend. I need to eventually mill out some areas on the receiver side plates and drill some lighting holes on some of the internal parts, because the extra MG47ES 1/8" wall receiver it's quite heavy for a bull-pup and needs to be lightened up.

SS

#17 ·
Here's some pics of sharpshooters bull pup. All I can say is sweet, maybe I can build one one day. :thumbup1:

#18 ·
Test fired the MG47BP last Sunday. Firing pin is not striking the primers hard enough to set them off all the time. When they did fire, it cycled fine. I installed a different hammer spring and a heavier hammer. I need to give the hammer more travel to have more inertia and try it on some primed cases until I get consistant ignition. I removed the wood covering from the handgrips and it looks alot better, not so fat on the front. Also moved the cocking handle off to the side so I can see the front sight. Kind of important if I expect to hit anything.

SS

#20 ·
sweet, looking forward to seeing the finished project. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.