Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: belt fed 223?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by iNuhBaD View Post
    I'd just be nervous about opening up the gas port on a 223 belt-fed gun... If the 7.62x39mm needs to be opened ~0.19" or so...

Wolf and many other low-cost ammo manufacturers (Winchester white box as well) have reduced their powder charge loads in the ammo they've put out in the last year or so! Their powder charges are now so incredibly 'WEAK' they cause many AR-15's to short stroke these days...

I'd be a bit worried about the ability to get them to cycle reliably in a gas-operated manner. I know the 7.62 Tokarev ammo version worked okay in a blowback/gas combo format, but the 5.56mm might have issues. If not issues of reliability in cycling, it might have issues with a gas port that's 85% the diameter of the bullet itself!!! YIKES!

That might seriously goof the accuracy or perhaps shave off some of the jacket unevenly to cause keyholing or who knows what...
    the joys of reloading. i load my own rounds and can work off of that. very consistent powder charges.

Feedback Score

I reload, so charge variants in the 223 loads is not an issue. i use the same 62 grain bullet and varget powder for all my loads so i have a very uniform load in that regard.
    if needed and to provide more reliability, i have no problem spending the $ on a M249 top cover and feed tray as i value reliability over cutting a little cost.
    i really like the idea of a 223 belt fed.

edit:
    oops didnt see my post was on page 2. i assumed it didnt go through.

Feedback Score

You will have no problem cycling a 5.56 belt fed with a standard diameter piston. A 5.56 cal. Bulgy Krink has a .070" gas port on an 8.5" barrel and runs great even with the muzzle device removed. Thats because the bore pressure is higher than the 7.62x39.

I agree the m249 top cover and m27 links are the easiest and most reliable way to go. I bought a m249 top cover off gunbroker a couple weeks ago for just such a project. I am too cheap to pay the price of the 249 feed tray and will make my own. I should get to this build sometime this winter. I hope.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

delete please

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Hey parrot, did you want the saw drum and pouch too? It is a blank only drum but you could get attachement area measurements from it. It won't fit in the flat rate boxes. I do have m13 links too. Let me know and they can go out today or tomorrow

Feedback Score

[quote=doubletapme; I am too cheap to pay the price of the 249 feed tray and will make my own. I should get to this build sometime this winter. I hope.[/quote]
    how much if you build me a m249 feed tray?

Feedback Score

[quote=doubletapme; I am too cheap to pay the price of the 249 feed tray and will make my own. I should get to this build sometime this winter. I hope.[/quote]
    how much if you build me a m249 feed tray?
    Do you have drawings for the feed tray?

Feedback Score

doubletapme do you have drawings for the feed tray?

Feedback Score

computers are so much fun especially when hit by 240gr hollow point.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
    computers are so much fun especially when hit by 240gr hollow point.
    LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.