Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: MG47-308

Feedback Score

Got a lot done today:

got the upper rail and ejector done

Mounted up the FT and TC (sorry, I welded the bracket, not true to the design)

Made a bolt carrier extension, but out of steel and welded. We'll see if it holds. Still haven't decided exactly how I will do the FCG.

It strips dummy rounds off the belt, shoves them in the chamber, extracts and ejects great.

Lots of little adjustments and tweaks along the way, but this is a really fun build. If I don't blow myself up, I'll have to do another.

I have to say, having humped an M-60 and a 240G, this thing is going to be LIGHT. I can't wait!!

I am curious about what you all think of if the gas tupe and vent holes etc can be left stock. Even a wild ass theory I will listen to. As I recall the VEPR uses a standard gas system, but will the pressure be up long enough for the belt feed???

Now the pictures....

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Capt. V/Mustang
    It looks really good and it feeds! I don't mind at all that you welded the pivot on but I am dissapointed that you didn't keep the combination red carry handle and pivot pin. (Mustang Carry Handle). LOL
    As far as the gas relief holes in the gas tube, on all three of my belt feeds I had to have a very gas tight joint there and relief holes almost at the end of the stroke. You basiclly have to convert a short stroke gas system to a long stroke system in order to push the BC back all the way and actuate the feed cam. You might be able to do the same thing with a large gas port in the barrel. The 308 is a lot higher pressure than the 7.62x39 and may have enough impulse to through the BC back all the way with the standard setup. I believe DTM has some experance with this in his XT74 which shoots a high pressure cartridge.

SS

Feedback Score

Got it. I'll make it a long system. Also it sounds like the bolt group needs to be in the low 20oz as far as weight goes. Do you have thoughts on springs? I was going to try first with dual AK springs in front of the FCG like on your ES plans, but running like the other one that was done by DVAN. Do you think they will run it?

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Capt. V

I tried to make a single AK spring work in the FCG on the ES but it just wasn't enough poop to do the job. I never tried a tandam side by side AK setup like DTM and DVAN though. What has worked for me is a M60 return spring available from Numrich. I used a old style multiple wound (Russki style) in the buttstock of the original MG47 prototype and the new style single wound spring in the hollow gas piston tube on the ES. Both worked.
    The new style spring is less than $20.

SS

Feedback Score

It feeds!

Well kinda. It is rough! Using a bar to push it closed and a string to pull it back, it is smooth like butter without ammo. Drop in a dummy belt though and it goes, feeds, extracts ejects, the whole thing, but it is rough and beats the heck out of the brass. Progress is being made though. I just was coming in for the evening and my wife got called for a "girls night out". Woo Hoo, more shop time! Here's where we are now....

Feedback Score

It's been pushed to the back burner, but I got a little time in the shop today. I did the gas tube mod and now am working out the FCG and smoothing the operation. I got the M60 spring. That will work better.

Mocked it up:

Feedback Score

Mustang03,
    Your build is looking good! My opinion is that if you can keep the weight of the carrier mass down you will have plenty of bore pressure to cycle it. I would love to have one in .308 but I ran dry in that caliber and buying a case of ammo costs as much as the gun.

Feedback Score

Making progress. I re-did the bolt, made the charging handle, the piston extension is done and it cycles well with the M-60 spring. The FCG is near done. Then it will all just be fitting and adjustments, beef up some of the welds and then on to primer poping.

So my wife fineally asked what I was doing in the shop so I explained it to her. Her only comment was, "That's how you are going to get yourself blown up."

I find her lack of faith disturbing.

Feedback Score

Mustang -

Interpret her comment as a normal female reaction and build on! Sounds like you're really making good progress - all your pics look great

Steve

Feedback Score

Made some great progress. It is feeding, extracting and ejecting perfect now and pops primers. I need to re work the FCG though. the angle is just a little off and it would slam fire if I fired it right now. Should be really easy though, just need some shop time. Nothing new externally though, so no pics today.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

mg47 belt fed plans

mg47 build

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.