Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: MG47-308

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Even the 12 ga gas tube did not work when I did not have a tight seal to the gas block. Once I made a very tight, no leakage at all seal, the gun cycled great and only after several hundred shots did it start to egg out the butt stock attachment holes. A rubber buffer stopped that and just to see what would happen, I drilled a gas relief hole about 1/2 in ahead of the rear most travel of the gas piston. I have build 3 MG47s now and all of them didn't work until I made a no leakage gas tube to gas block seal and a very close tolerance gas piston to gas tube fit. CNTRAILRIDER and the other builders that have successfully got one to cycle have found the same thing. Granted, the 12ga diameter gas tube and piston was over kill, but once I got a no leakage tube to block fit and a no more than .005 thousands clearance piston to tube fit with a standard diameter piston and a tube that did not relieve the gas pressure until just in front of the rear most travel did I get reliable cycling. The ES and BP versions both use a standard AK piston but a very tight tube to gas block seal and a tight clearance piston to tube I.D. fit.

SS

Feedback Score

SS and 486 -

Yes I experienced some rear trunnion slamming, but that wasn't until after it finally functioned. That can be be tamed with a buffer, adjusting spring length, BC weight, etc. But it must live before it can be tamed. In other words, it must complete it's function first. That's the best I know how to explain it; not intended as a rude nor know-it-all rebuttal. By golly I'm just learning as I go!

Steve

Feedback Score

Horseman,
    Thanks for the offer. I may take you up onn that, but I'm going to play with it a little this weekend.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

No worries, it might be a few days before I can get back to my MG47 project. The motor on my lathe went kaput without any neat smoke or lightning special effects.
    Hated by many, loved by few.

Feedback Score

Finally had a chance to upload the photos of the adjustable gas port bushing used on the M77.

Pictures by alpine44m - Photobucket

The hole in the front of the gas block will bleed of any gas that escapes between bushing and gas block. Without this hole you would put axial pressure on the bushing and/or gas tube.

For the belt fed action you would want to attach your gastube to the largest OD of the bushing and shorten the (larger) piston so that it does not want to go inside of the bushing.

Feedback Score

AHHHH! THat is slicker than greased owl snot. I may look at something like that. Thanks for the pics.

Feedback Score

Getting there. I rebuilt the gas system and now it is good and tight. I fired it and now it goes all the way back, but the extractor doesn't kick out the brass all the way so i have to make a slightly bigger and harden it. Then we should be good. I'll post a video as soon as it works reliably....

Feedback Score

Mustang -

That was the beginning of when mine began working. W/o full stroke it's sort've pointless. You can always adjust spring length later to prevent the BC from slamming the rear. Rubber block or even an eraser makes an OK temporary buffer to prevent damage. Study the wear on it. Good Luck

Steve

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cntrailrider View Post
    ... or even an eraser makes an OK temporary buffer to prevent damage.
    Thanks for the idea! It seems that an eraser would be the right thickness for a PSL, though durability would be a concern...

Feedback Score

I'm not dead or anything, just have not got it working yet. It has been on the back burner. I still need to get in and tighten up the gas system, then she'll go. Sorry for no more news.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Search tags for this page

mg47 belt fed plans

mg47 build

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.