Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Semi PKM conversion (no vendor kit)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I need to take another look at it. I just cant see what holds in the selector knob shaft.
    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcore1964 View Post
    I need to take another look at it. I just cant see what holds in the selector knob shaft.
    The selector looks like it has a plunger pin with a spring behind it that pushes up against the selector. Could just be a detent but it might also retain the selector. If you reach in with a tool and press the plunger back away from the selector it might free the selector to slide out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    The selector looks like it has a plunger pin with a spring behind it that pushes up against the selector. Could just be a detent but it might also retain the selector. If you reach in with a tool and press the plunger back away from the selector it might free the selector to slide out.
    Yeah Al that helped, I pushed the little detent in with a small punch and rotated the selector lever counter-clockwise about 1/16 of a turn and it popped right out.

I made more modifications to the AK hammer ground it flat on both sides and cut part of the axis tube off one side. If the outter diameter of the axis tube was decreased in diameter it could easly fit under the carrier, on the back stroke of the carrier it could lay the hammer back into the trigger housing. The hammer needs to be longer by about 8-10mm and thinner on the side next to the mainspring because it rubs a little about 2mm needs to be removed. The hammer will need to sit almost directly over the top of the front trigger housing rivets and offset to the left.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

2nd hammer prototype with some of above modifications made
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Looks like good progress. I haven't had time lately to mess with mine. I'm still debating if to use a hammer or an Uzi type striker. I hear the commercial semi auto's use an Uzi type striker but trigger pull is worse than the open bolt full auto. I would think a striker should be no worse than releasing the bolt. I'll see what sort of system I can design. A hammer looks good as long as it can clear everything and not get damaged in recoil.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

hcpookie came to my house this week and we had a very enjoyable and productive afternoon and evening. We shot down some design ideas and came up with some new ones. The last one pookie threw out as he was walking to his Jeep was the one I think I will try first. Dual springs to the right and left on the bottom of the receiver to take place of the one large manispring with the hammer coming up through the middle of the two springs to hit the back of the bolt/firing pin. I have to find two 1/4" 10lb springs about 8 inches long.

Feedback Score

nice

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have made some progress, the PKM mainspring pull back tension is 25.1 lbs. and a single AK spring pull back is 15.1 lbs. So what I am thinking is 2/3 of of each AK spring which will be about 10 inches which should be about 20 lbs. of return force, should be plenty to run the PKM carrier with the added weight of the spring attachments and additional friction. I will install 2 spring "buckets" which will be about 4 inches long, through the rear trunnion into the rear stock, which you will not be able to see from the outside.
    In the third picture you can see the dual AK recoil springs and the AK hammer in the middle with plenty of clearance. I think it will have to be mounted with an axis pin running from right to left through the receiver just like an AK hammer is mounted. There is room between the bottom of the receiver and the bottom of the carrier to fit a modified AK hammer. When it gets laid back the hammer recesses back into the trigger housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    I just got a Russian PKM technical information and repair manual. (A couple of them from different years) It doesn't have a lot of dimensions but it does have rivet sizes, counter sinks and which rivet heads are suppose to be flush.
    Can you post the rivet information, that would help a lot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Steelcore, did you get a chance to see if the AR hammer fits with more room?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.