Gunco Forums banner

The Gorkonov project

8K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  weaponeer 
#1 ·
I bought one of the century gorkonovs a few weeks ago. I really wasn't happy with the finish. it was one of the worst finishes I ever saw on a gun, specially one that cost $4,500.00 I started noticing spots of rust appearing on it even after oiling it. I took it apart the other night to discover the bolt & carrier blooming with rust as well. I took it to the shop today and tore it down tonight. I started polishing the parts and receiver and getting rid of some of the machine marks and grind marks. I am going to dulite it over the weekend and make it look like it should. this is the first time I bought a gun and had to tear it apart and refinish it before I even got to shoot it:mad::geezer:

Attachments

See less See more
#42 ·
I'm trying REAL hard to resist!!!. My car resto project keeps getting put off because of " DEALS" like this!!! The pile of parts kits grows & my poor old 74 Galaxies' getting old & dirty like me.

Pirate has it all & I'll just admire his collection.

#45 ·
Rah,

i dont have the finish coat on my receiver but it looks pretty damn impressive all put together with the spades on it....

#46 ·
Any tips or hints on de-slagging the receiver? Ive got most of it off, but there are tiny beads of the stuff inside the receiver, and im also having problems getting that crap out of the rails and grooves inside as well. Lastly, how clean should the cuts be? Do I grind them down until its all fresh clean metal or is that too much?

#52 ·
wow PIrate.... i just dont know what to say on this....

except that several of us are using a different design and im hoping for a lot better results for my $300 parts kit.

call me sometime bro...

s

#55 ·
Big Al,

we keep saying that we are gonna hook up with you and 555th..... but we just never get together.

i'll be at the creek on saturday.. you goin?

sdk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.