Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maxim or Vickers?

Feedback Score

Default Maxim or Vickers?

I posted this question over on weaponeer.net but it seems to be getting side tracked with people suggesting I should buy a SG-43 Goryunov. However I would like eaither a Maxim or Vickers due to the historical significance. So I was wondering which is the easier build and once built which one is the better quality. I know basically they are the same design with the vickers being a "updated" version of the Maxim.

Feedback Score

Hello rainbow6,
    In my modest experience with both mgs I believe that they are about the same level of difficulty. Both types have become rather scarce and spendy these days. Parts do not interchange by the way. The Vickers employs an inverted toggle lock.

There are various models of Maxims that have non-interchangeable parts. The WW-I German Maxim was the 1908 (and 08/15) model and the Russian Maxim was the 1910 model as was the Swiss Maxim. The main difference among these was the method of lock attachment to the toggle mechanism. The Swiss lock can interchange onto the Russian Maxim if you want a rimless cartridge conversion.

VD

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

You can still find Russian 1910 Maxims kits around, they are relatively cheap compared to other older Maxims.
    The vickers kits can still be purchased here
    British Vickers Medium Machine Gun .303 cal Part Set - International Military Antiques

Both seem to be about the same to build. Parts are equaly hard to find. I think it comes down to what you really want.

The vickers can be mounted on the tripod (bought from the same place) the 1910 mounts on the little trailer thing.

Personally I lean more towards the vickers not because of anything functional wise but because I like how it looks and it is british, not ruskie.

My 2 cents
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score

I have built both in semi config And I like the Vickers better its a classier weapon and more refined gun but the draw back is the round the 303 is near impossible to find anymore so for looks and fit function the Vickers for ease of ammo and if your not affraid of getting a ding or dent the maxim oh yeah there Maxim water jackets dent real easy compaired to the vickers
    I'm an expert @ what won't work & what not to do

Feedback Score

An ammo conversion to 7.62x54R is possible on the Vickers barrel by rechambering. Some tweeking of the lock face may be needed too. The conversion would allow use of the available Russian ammo in a British gun.

VD

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    An ammo conversion to 7.62x54R is possible on the Vickers barrel by rechambering. Some tweeking of the lock face may be needed too. The conversion would allow use of the available Russian ammo in a British gun.

VD

I thought about that but I would like to keep the gun as close to original as possible since I am doing it for more of a collection piece.

Feedback Score
    4 (75%)

I think the vickers is a much nicer gun

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Much harder to find belts for the Vickers and they are canvas and will wear out. .303 British is expensive and hard to get any good surplus. Good Vickers tripods are getting scarce and spendy. Vickers is lighter. 1910 Maxim belts are metal, They last longer. One of the later Russian MGs used the same belt pitch so you can use the belts for it. 7.62x54R is abundance and relatively cheap. The Maxim is heaver than a 08 Maxim which is heavier than a Vickers, but the wheeled mount lets you pull it around instead of carry it from you truck to the firing line. Finding crank belt loaders for either is hard and the price reflects it.

-yarro

Feedback Score

Default 7.62x54 Vickers

Had mine converted to the Russian round. Will run maxim belts with ease. Also have .303. Feed block must be converted to run 762x54. Feed blocks are available at IMA.

Feedback Score

Default 7.62x54 Vickers

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post

VD
    The Vickers 303 barrel can be rechamberd using a 7.62x54 reamer-it will be fine for shooting only steel cased ammo as the shoulder of the case blows out some-Dolf Goldsmith taught me this is a go conversion after watching him shoot several thousand rounds of the Russian ammo. The 303 lock must be opened a tad to handle the rim of the russian case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.