Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got a MAG58 kit!!!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

NICE! and the sound the real one makes...Sweet

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Huh, wouldn't that be sorta prone to firing out of battery, or do they have some way around it, like the action having some sort of ratcheting lockup system, or a really strong extractor spring that keeps the round in front of the bolt face and firing pin until it is fully bottomed out in the chamber?
    FA-open bolt systems are the only way to use a fixed firing pin. The idea is that the action is "timed" such that the pin hits the primer as the action is locking up, so that just as the bolt is locked the round is fired. We're talking nanoseconds here. Any sooner and yes you'd have an out-of-battery discharge. This design lets the engineers get the highest rate of *safe* fire out of the MG. If you hand-cycle you'll see that the extractor doesn't grab the cartridge until it is in the chamber anyway.

In fact the PK/PKM design uses a fixed and as I recall so does the Suomi. Other systems like the MG42 use different locking mechanisms but essentially result in the same outcome - fire the round just as it locks up, no "slack" in the system to slow it down.

For a semi-only design, you have to convert it to a normal floating/spring-loaded firing pin or just build a brand-new firing pin from drill rod or a grade-8 bolt. Then you are free to make it into a conventional striker- or hammer-fired design.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Wow if I had some spare cash I would be all over one of these. Great deal Stan!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

So the conversion would be mg42 flavor. Put in a hammer that would hit the rear of the bolt with a new hole and firing pin in it.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56 View Post
    They still have a couple left!!! I am sure one has your name on it!!
    Damn, you got the sweetheart deal of the decade on that one!!

Saw them on their website............for $4995.
    FN MAG58 Spare Parts Set - MAG58SP-D S Arms

Sometimes the stars just all align and the sunshine comes flowing down. Great snag Pirate! Ya know you really ought to do a post full auto on that one.

I'd give ya $100 on top of what you paid for it if you really wanted me to have one

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Huh, wouldn't that be sorta prone to firing out of battery, or do they have some way around it, like the action having some sort of ratcheting lockup system, or a really strong extractor spring that keeps the round in front of the bolt face and firing pin until it is fully bottomed out in the chamber?
    Yes, the pin is attached to the carrier and esentially what is the bolt cams into position. in the last zillionth of the camming action, the firing pin potrudes from the bolt face, allowing the gun to fire. I am sure he can show a picture or you can find one. If not, I can go check one out of the armory and shoot a pic if you are really interested.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by MustangO3 View Post
    Yes, the pin is attached to the carrier
    Oh, that makes more sense than a firing pin fixed to the bolt [like a blowback operated submachine gun]. Sorta like the MG42, it fires right after the bolt is locked.
    LMG designing would be fun. Figuring out what'll push the ROF to insane levels. Maybe something like a lightened bolt carrier and gas system [maybe even a direct impingment system like a hakim] and a cable driven bullet feeder to feed the rounds with the rearward motion of the carrier... Funfunfun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    Damn, you got the sweetheart deal of the decade on that one!!

Saw them on their website............for $4995.
    FN MAG58 Spare Parts Set - MAG58SP-D S Arms

Sometimes the stars just all align and the sunshine comes flowing down. Great snag Pirate! Ya know you really ought to do a post full auto on that one.

I'd give ya $100 on top of what you paid for it if you really wanted me to have one
    I'd give ya $150!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    I'd give ya $150!
    Whadya say we auction off Pirates new kit?

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The semi conversion on this will be interesting as the carrier is what locks into the sear under normal operation. Never fired one, but the Marines in Quantico familiarized us with the operation of it and the m249/Minimi while I was there TAD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.