Gunco Forums banner

Got a MAG58 kit!!!

6K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  kingofbeer 
#1 ·
I have wanted one of these for a couple of years, but the $3,500.00 price tag was a bit steep. DSA put a few of these up on gunbroker last week. I called my contact there and got this one hand select for $2,000.00 it is in excellent condition and the bbl looks new. I can't wait to sort it all out and put all the sub assemblys together.

figuring out a semi conversion will be a good winter project.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Lucky SOB, I'd LITERALLY kill for one, or two

That is a nice looking kit. But what's a MAG58? Never heard of it before.
M240 G medium belt fed machine gun, Fires the 7.62, fires it beautifully, the ones we had in the Corps had synthetic butt stocks.

Err ill say it again lucky sob,

(no disrespect's towards momma now)

G2

#8 ·
WOW! That is GREAT! You are one lucky juy. That is the ultimate GPMG! I used one extensively in Iraq in 2003 and they are a great gun to be behind. When you need it, they will work! As for a semi conversion, should be interesting. It fires from an open bolt with a fixed firing pin. Keep us informed!

#9 ·
A trigger housing that looks suspiciously like an MG42 and does that look like a PK style carrier? Hard to tell from the pics. That missing the RHSP suggests you'll need to machine a 1919 semi-only notch into the carrier somewhere. I'm sure you'll figure it out :)

#14 ·
So the conversion would be mg42 flavor. Put in a hammer that would hit the rear of the bolt with a new hole and firing pin in it.

#20 ·
The semi conversion on this will be interesting as the carrier is what locks into the sear under normal operation. Never fired one, but the Marines in Quantico familiarized us with the operation of it and the m249/Minimi while I was there TAD.

#21 ·
It is going to be a real challenge to convert it. the way the mechanism works with the firing pin being totally enclosed and not accessable and the total lack of room inside the receiver wil make it a real challenge.

it has a lot of precisely made parts as well. I have been wanting one for a long time and the best deal we could get was about a year ago from oow if we bought 6 or more for 3300.00 this was a real bargain by those standards. but times are tough for all at the moment and there are lots of bargains to be had if you have some $$$.

I sold a lot of extras from the collection before the election when prices were high and now am buying a lot of desireable stuff at reasonable prices.

I would make a postie out of it but have no place to shoot it so I will make it a semi. If I had a place to shoot I would have several posties in the rack!!

#25 ·
Now that's a MG! Sweet looking MAG, looks just like a Canadian version, like the ones I carried. Sweet fun! :)

Yes the FN MAG is a beautiful blend of designs from the MG42 (Trigger Group and simplified Feed Mechanism) , the US B.A.R Bolt Locking Mechanism etc. Wonderful MG, Great to Shoot and I never
experienced a single jam, even with blanks...but I did keep mine in meticulously clean condition :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.