Gunco Forums banner

Brainstorming session for an MG74

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MaadiMan 
#1 ·
I've been collecting parts/researching building an MG47 for a couple a years now, and I think I'm about ready to tackle this project. I have an 86 Romy G kit built into a faux RPK with a turned-down RPD barrel with type3 milled barrel bits on it (so I could leave the barrel a little bit thicker than if I had turned it down to us AKM barrel bits.) This would be great for an MG47 in that it has the added length to help with keeping pressure up longer for more reliable cycling than the 16" versions. Here's where it's at now:

So I got to thinking the other day, AK74 kits are fairly cheap right now and 5.45 ammo is really cheap right now, so why not try my hand at an MG74? The biggest hurdle here I think would be finding a feedtray/topcover that would work with 5.45 ammo. I figure that 5.56 is close enough to work, and the most common beltfed 5.56 I know of is the M249, SAW, Mk46, Minime, whatever it's called. But that presents a problem in and of itself. IE where to get the parts for less than a small fortune?

Anyone know who sells complete M249 topcover/feedtrays?

See less See more
#8 ·
How about a scratch-built sprocket-drive type belt feed such as HK's use ??? That would save using an inverted AK action. Sprocket drive technology has been around since early WW-I. (1914 Hotchkiss MG).

VD
I'll have to do some more reading about that. I'm not familiar with this style of feed mech.

To me that's high, I got one about a year ago for just over 100 shipped. But then they might be hard to find now?

And your welcome for the thread, from what I can remember, he's the only one that did an MG74.
I think I'll see if the guy will come down a little on his price. I was hoping for around $100, but I had no real idea what was fair. I have found complete MG3 units for about $80, but I would rather have the RPD style, because it is several inches shorter.

#7 ·
Is this close to the going rate?
To me that's high, I got one about a year ago for just over 100 shipped. But then they might be hard to find now?

And your welcome for the thread, from what I can remember, he's the only one that did an MG74.

#9 ·
I got the price down to $100 for the topcover/feedtray assy! I'm going to pick it up this afternoon! I'm pretty excited for this build! I'll have to post my progress for y'all to watch and comment on as I go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.