Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MaadiMan's play-by-play MG47 build thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I went over to Sharpsshooter5090's house last night for a hands on session with his belt-fed projects. Thanks SS! (It was only last night that I realized your name is Sharpsshooter, Sharps-shooter not sharpshooter! Shows how observant I am!)

It was a real treat to be able to see all of his toys. Plus I was able to see and better understand how all of the parts fit together and work together in his MG47s. I'm gonna get cracking pretty good now.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default SHARPS-SHOOTER-50-90

Sure, no problem. glad you could make it.

Sharpsshooter5090 came from the gun I use for elk hunting, a Sharps rifle in 50-90 caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MaadiMan View Post
    I went over to Sharpsshooter5090's house last night for a hands on session with his belt-fed projects. Thanks SS! (It was only last night that I realized your name is Sharpsshooter, Sharps-shooter not sharpshooter! Shows how observant I am!)

It was a real treat to be able to see all of his toys. Plus I was able to see and better understand how all of the parts fit together and work together in his MG47s. I'm gonna get cracking pretty good now.
    Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090; 07-01-2010 at 08:28 AM.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Update! Update! Update!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've got a little bit done in the last few days. I'm pretty busy right now trying to make enough biodiesel to power my F350 and my K5 Blazer next weekend when I take my family down to Moab for some hiking, camping and 4x4ing.

I cut a slot in the top of the reciever under where the topcover will sit:

Then I cut the sides down where the feedtray would sit:

Next, I built a little "bridge" out of some 1/8" steel plate. This is going to straddle the trunnion, and fill in the gap between the receiver (it's 1.5" wide ID) and the trunnion (1.25" ID). I'm going to trim it down a lot. It's also going to hold the little ear that the topcover and feedtray pin to. It will ultimately be riveted to the trunnion and receiver:

Lastly, I trimmed down the sides of the trunnion so that it was 1.25" all the way up. My mill is still inacessable, so I just used a grinder:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

looking nice i'm excited to see it when you get done! oh by the way guys did you see the rpd top cover apex is selling, complete for 65 bucks seems decent to me.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

And he has the feed tray for 30
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

looks like it is coming along well. Looking forward to seeing more pics as the build progresses.

If it isn't to much to ask - maybe you could do a pictorial on making biodiesel sometime.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got a little bit of work done last night. I got the adapter built (the adapter that connects the trunnion to the reciever). I'll get some pics up soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
    looks like it is coming along well. Looking forward to seeing more pics as the build progresses.

If it isn't to much to ask - maybe you could do a pictorial on making biodiesel sometime.
    Sure! I'd love to B.S. about the bio.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I ran into a little snag last night. I pressed the barrel out of the trunnion, tapped the rivet holes for 10/32 screws, drilled the holes in the adapter, then when I was screwing in the stainless steel screws to check for fit, two of the screws took exception to the idea, and froze up in the trunnion. They were so soft that the heads twisted off with way less force than it should have taken. So now I'm probably going to have to drill out the screw stubs, then tap the holes for a larger screw size (14 maybe?). Again, no pics, as the wife had the camera in the truck on the other end of town,

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Don't panic!

Drill the screws to the pilot size for the next size down; 8-32 if you're using 10-32. Then insert an 8-32 tap.

The broken screws may come out while tapping. If not, run an 8-32 Allen screw in from whichever side stands clear of the trunnion, then use the wrench to crank it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.