Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MaadiMan's play-by-play MG47 build thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

All right. I'll try the smaller tap size thing. It'll be next week though, I'm taking the wife and kids to Idaho this weekend for some white-water rafting.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Try TRX's method. It should work fine, but if you have any trouble getting them out, bring it over and I'll get them out.

Use carbon steel button head cap screws. There grade 10.5. I have several hundred of them in 10-32. Stop by and I will give you some. Stainless steel screws are usually soft.

SS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool. Thanks for the offer, SS. I'm going to take a little while to recover after the rafting trip before I start working on this progect again. I got ground up on the rocks under a waterfall! I got tossed out, and sent through the spin cycle on the sharp rocks. I've got road-rash all over my right side. I've got bruises, scrapes, and cuts on my knee, lower back, shoulder, elbow, right hand, and a pretty good goose-egg on my noggin! I'm moving pretty slowly today!

It was a fun trip in spite of the casualties! My 4-year old son got thrown in the same place, but his worst injury was the loss of his Florida Marlins hat. After I got him and the raft gathered up again, he told me that he didn't like the river,
    "It's mean. It took my hat."

I think I'll get some pictures of the trunnion adapter (and maybe some of the carnage) posted tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This has been a busy summer! I've not had a lot of time to play with the MG47. My wife had a bunch of triathlons, and bike races, so I got to be mommy while she trained and competed.

Then on the last race of the season for her, another competitor passed her and clippled her front tire. She went down hard on the pavement (at about 22 MPH) and broke her scapula and clavicle both! Ouch! She had to have surgery to put her collar bone back together. The surgeon told me that there were 2 main peices of bone, but that there were also 2 shards that were big enough that he "keyed them together", then he fastened it all down with a titanium plate and screws. Here's the pic before they fixed her:

Sept. was supposed to be all for me; 3-gun shoots, bowling pin shoots, Blazer-Bash in Moab, and a lot of gun and truck building, but now I get to be mommy to Mommy and the 4 younguns. I've been trying to be upbeat and supportive, but Mama is pretty grouchy right now. I hope she heals quickly.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Ouch is right
    Hope she heals up quick so you can be daddy again
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

WOW, hope she has a fast recovery................

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the well wishes.

OK, I got a little actual work done on this! Yay for me!
    I got the broken screw drilled out, then I re-tapped the hole:

Then I cleaned up the trunnion with the mill:

Then I worked on attatching the "bridge":

I drilled a hole for a rosette weld:

Then I welded up the holes:

I got the barrel/trunnion installed so I have a better idea where the topcover needs to sit. I found that I mounted the barrel/trunnion a bit too low in the reciever, so I'll either have to cut out the bridge and reweld it, or cut down the top of the reciever, allowing the topcover to sit lower. I think I'll go the latter route. I didn't get any pics of it as Mamma needed some help. More to come soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here's where I'm at right now:

It's starting to look like something fun!

Here's the closeup of the "bridge":

The next step will be to cut down the height of the reciever so that the topcover sits down level with the feedtray. Then comes the rails and bolt carrier mods.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Glad to that Mamas doing OK and that you have a chance to get back on your project. It looks good what you done and that's great you got the broken screw out.

SS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks, SS. Mamas doing OK at best. I was dummy enough to leave here home alone with the kids on saturday to go to a 3-gun shoot. She had a pretty hard day. I'm going to pay for that one!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.