Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $299 M53 parts kits at centerfire

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up RetVet..

Super nice job on that.. Real nice.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I got a kit from a different source some time back, spent a few hours taking pounds of cosmo off with a heat gun. Let us know what the bore looks like... last time they had these with barrels they were pretty dark unless you paid a considerable upcharge.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Barrel arrived today. Looks decent, barely any rust on it at all. look down the barrel, doesnt seem to bad, its dark and rough, but seems to have decent rifling on it. Has a ton of seemingly random number stampings on it. Only makers mark looking stamp is a star, with a "T" right under it. ill post some pics once i get it cleaned up/

Feedback Score

Congrats on the great kit. Got mine a while back and the bore was rough. I bought a couple of locking blocks with barrel stubs (torch cut) for $15 @ RTG. Had some of the Sarco 8x63 Sweed barrels. Seems like I paid $89 for 3. I used the threaded stubs for threaded bushings and mated the Sweed barrels less chambers. Chamber reamed them to 8x57 and headspaced them. All of my bolts checked with in .002 of each other. Did this over a year ago and have not finished the profile. Had the reamers and headspace gaged on rent time and had to get them back. May not be original but are new.
    YMMV

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
    What those parts can become with some time, patience, and lots of elbow grease.....
    RetVet;
    Those grip panels look fantastic. Did you make them yourself ??

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    RetVet;
    Those grip panels look fantastic. Did you make them yourself ??
    Yes, one of my compliance parts. Used a scroll saw to cut them out of a slab of old oak I had in the shop. A little carving and sanding and they turned into a perfect match with the original Yugo butt stock.

As a side note, I modified the original safety button on the grip assembly to act as a blocker for the FAL trigger set. Works great. I need to take this out to the range again. It's been away from it for too long!

Mr_Posthumous, "bpr" is a German code marking so that recuperator is a German part too.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score

i have been thinking about building one of these. is there a tutorial on here somewhere that i missed? and i looked for ammo for this and came up short, is ammo is this cal super expensive and is it just cheaper in the long run to convert to .308?

sorry if these questions seem noobish. i dont know anyhting about 42/53's

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

iI would like to know too,looks like an interesting build.who makes recievers?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Prexis has receivers, Prexis: M53a4 Hybrid Receiver

Some other ways include rewelds and machining plates to construct your own.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by leonpiper69 View Post
    i have been thinking about building one of these. is there a tutorial on here somewhere that i missed? and i looked for ammo for this and came up short, is ammo is this cal super expensive and is it just cheaper in the long run to convert to .308?

sorry if these questions seem noobish. i dont know anyhting about 42/53's

Robertrtg.com, apex, brpguns.com are a few places that sell 42/53 stuff. rttg and brp sell the most as far as re-building one goes. coldsteelsolutions also has 42 receiver 80% i think.

You can get 8mm ammo out there. I still havent built my kit yet, got a lot of it ready to go, just waiting on re-welding stuff together. i got the original torch cut bbl bushing out, and put the new one it, right now its just tack welded in place. I cleaned up the end of the barrel shroud and the end of the receiver. got a long piece of square tubing, just need to drill some holes in it and bolt the two halves on it and do the re-weld. Still not confident enough with my welding, thats the biggest reason i haven't gone any further.

i havent touched the grip stick yet, other than taking it all apart and leaning the grease off it.

Pirate56 has an outstanding tutorial on projectguns.com.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.