Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mg47 question?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i like the thought of a aluminum reliever too, sounds interesting... also, i dont feel like theres that much force being applied to the reciever, its still, all in the normal parts of an ak, from what it looks like, anywise...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

also, is there a way to "heat treat" alum, how would one do it?

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFetus View Post
    also, is there a way to "heat treat" alum, how would one do it?

You buy aluminum already heat treated. That's what the "T6" desigation is. A heat treat code. You can't heat and quench it like alloy carbon steel, it is a totally different process that doesn't get to it's maximun strength until it goes through an aging process.
    A truely high strength aluminum would be an grade typically used in aircraft construction such as 7075-T6 which has a yield strength of around 75,000 psi. Its pertty pricey though, if you can find it.

Sharpsshooter5090
    SS

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 SHARPSSHOOTER5090's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Mc Master Carr sells 7075 T-6 aluminum sheets. A 12" x 24" x 1/8' thick cost about $65.00 plus shipping. Anybody can buy from them also. They list the yield strangth as 73,000 psi. That means it would take twice the force to yield it or cause the trunion attachment bolts to egg out the holes. My day job is a Mechanical Engineer and I have been doing that for 42 years and from my experance, I can't see any problem in making an aluminum receiver for the ES version especially if you use 7075-T6. Only recoil forces are transfered to the receiver, the front trunion locking lugs take all the firing stresses.

Sharpsshooter5090
    SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.